Maggots in the pool... yuck!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
bleuxgirl

Postby bleuxgirl » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:19

I have found maggots in our pool twice now. there are no trees, so i am at a loss for where they came from. we have lived here 4 years and never had this problem. HELP!! I am grossed out!

Postby Guest » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 11:02

I have that same problem. I noticed it yesterday, sucked them all out with the vacuum and they are back today along with black bugs on the bottom of the pool.
shellbell

maggots in my pooll and spa

Postby shellbell » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 14:46

:cry: :( please help what can i do to get these maggots out of my pool
cantswim

Re: Maggots in the pool... yuck!

Postby cantswim » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 03:25

bleuxgirl wrote:I have found maggots in our pool twice now. there are no trees, so i am at a loss for where they came from. we have lived here 4 years and never had this problem. HELP!! I am grossed out!

Hi There
I have the same problem.It's driving us crazy the more we remove them , the more they seem to be breeding.Please help what was your outcome?
BilliBob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 65m2 inground
mosaic overflow
2hp pump
sand filter

Postby BilliBob » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 08:54

I had this before. I kind of got rid of the maggots a few times but they kept coming back. Here is what I finally did.

I opened my sand filter and dumped a load of filter cleaner in it. It bubbled and frothed and was really gross. After that I added some more sand as the level was a little low. :sick:

I checked my pH and adjusted to 7.0 and my hardness was around 200. Stabilizer was around 70 as far as I remember. I shocked the pool with liquid chlorine to over 7ppm and kept it up for a week. :shock:

In the interim I scooped dead maggots out and vacuumed every day. :sick:

After one week I let the chlorine fall back to 1.5ppm and the ph to 7.2 . I keep the free chlorine at at least 1.5ppm and the maggots have not come back. :thumbup: :D
My favourite pool care forum

Postby Guest » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 03:04

If the maggots aren't breeding in the water they come from the lawn.

A generous line of DE around the edge of the pool deck where it adjoins the garden has helped us no end. :thumbup:
Tigress1

Postby Tigress1 » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 10:05

Pool User wrote:If the maggots aren't breeding in the water they come from the lawn.

A generous line of DE around the edge of the pool deck where it adjoins the garden has helped us no end. :thumbup:

Did you mean "lime" not "line"???

I have those nasty maggot things in my pool by the thousands it seems....I know now the importance of maintaining pool chemicals but I don't want them back. I drained the pool once and I don't want to have to do that again!!!
Tigress1

Postby Tigress1 » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 10:07

Tigress1 wrote:
Pool User wrote:If the maggots aren't breeding in the water they come from the lawn.

Did you mean "lime" not "line"???

I have those nasty maggot things in my pool by the thousands it seems....I know now the importance of maintaining pool chemicals but I don't want them back. I drained the pool once and I don't want to have to do that again!!!

OOPS.....just noticed that you meant a line of DE....BTW what is DE????

maggots in my pooll and spa

Postby Guest » Sat 22 Aug, 2009 00:30

shellbell wrote::cry: :( please help what can i do to get these maggots out of my pool

:crazy: I am very confused, we have had an inground pool for 24 years and never once maggots. today maggots appeared. I am extremely upset. No trees around, what and how did they get in there?????????
Bonnie

Postby Bonnie » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:09

Pool User wrote:I have that same problem. I noticed it yesterday, sucked them all out with the vacuum and they are back today along with black bugs on the bottom of the pool.

I had the problem on Friday, called the pool service, they came out and vaccuumed and supposedly washed out the filter. Sunday they were back again. My husband vaccuumed and cleaned the filter, this morning they are back. We have no trees by the pool, and no grass. What do I do??

Postby Guest » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 16:40

Well...i notice few maggots in my pool yesterday night and i m bit worried as my children and my family member use swimming pools...Please give me some tip to get out of it
huntdog420

Postby huntdog420 » Sun 27 Jun, 2010 13:20

swimming pool water is the attraction. the maggots come from dead anmial matter. they are comming from the trash can or maybe someplace else look on the deck for maggots they go toward the water for the moisture. bag your trash in bags and seal it. wash your trash cans with detergant once a month. the little buggers can crawl quite a distance. they dont come from the water, they come to it.check the deck.
fluffy p

Postby fluffy p » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 15:38

what size were they because i found a lot of them in a bucket of water and i think that they are maggots they are so tiny and i don't know what to do with them because they have a black head and a long but tiny body and < that was like the end of the body it looks so weird i don't know where they came from they are starting to creep me out i have no idea what to do with them.
twistedemotion
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: It's perfect. It's a paradise

Postby twistedemotion » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 06:04

I thought maggots can only exist on food But I am wrong. Really?
Mandlouu

Re: Maggots in the pool... yuck!

Postby Mandlouu » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 09:20

It's blue bottle larvae they lay their eggs they hatch in 1 day into these vile maggot things which if left they have a cocoon around them like a butterfly chrysalis then grow wings and fly away, I have them every day I open the lid of my hottub now the weather is getting colder.. Horrible when you find them floating in the water

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”