Tiny Bugs

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
jmk
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a 17 x 34 fiberglass pool. It holds about 20,000 gallons of water. We have a Hayward pump and filter, and a Polaris cleaner

Tiny Bugs

Postby jmk » Fri 13 Jul, 2012 18:36

I just came in from checking our pool. After I dumped the skimmer basket, I noticed little things floating on the water. They are actually tiny bugs, about the size of a pin head, but not circular, more oval shaped. They look brownish tan...not brown. They are all over my pool. I scooped some out in a cup. They swim, climb, and jump. Does anyone know what they are and where they came from?

Is it dangerous to swim in the water? My husband mowed the lawn last night and this morning we had a rain shower.

ps....salt water pool, but currently not enough salt but lots of chlorine!

Please help me. I'm new to this forum and can only hope that I'm doing this right!!!

TSH Tech

Tiny Bugs

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 11:33

Probably after the rain they relocated and fell in your pool. It happens. There's a pool chemical by Lo-Chlor called Bug Off. If a bug can float or swim, its taking air to live. This chemical modifies the water so they drown and fall to the bottom of the pool for cleanup.

Too many bugs appearing in your pool and you might want to consider calling a yard exterminator.
jmk
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a 17 x 34 fiberglass pool. It holds about 20,000 gallons of water. We have a Hayward pump and filter, and a Polaris cleaner

Tiny Bugs

Postby jmk » Sun 15 Jul, 2012 09:47

Thank you. After I posted on the forum, no one was answering , so not knowing exactly what to do, I added 2 lbs. of shock to my water. The next day you could see a pool of them collected at the bottom near the skimmer basket. I think I killed them.

Yesterday I added 1 lb. more of shock....hopefully I got them all. I haven't checked today.

I will look for the product you suggested, or maybe I can purchase online (we live in a small town)

Again, thank you!
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Tiny Bugs

Postby paulbest » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 22:28

caterpillar, bees, flies, bugs, name it all, most of these insects see your pool as a source of water. however there are specific bugs that live, eat, breed and die in your pools. these are: water boatmen and backswimmers.

causes and how to get rid:

these insects feeds on algae, they may be beneficial however if you want to keep away your pool from these insects, consider taking away their source of food. attacking on the algae is the place to start. followed by shocking the pool or double shock treatment. then brush down and vacuum job and thorough skimming should remove them.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prevent-wa ... 46773.html
kaylee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have planned to construct a small size pool as we are short on yard space. It is a round shaped pool.

Postby kaylee » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:27

I think you must definitely consult an expert. Try using a pool cover.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 25 May, 2017 01:17

A professional will be able to help you better.
MP123
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MP123 » Mon 29 May, 2017 05:56

Has you or anyone nearby recently out new grass In? If so, that is where they're coming from..once the grass dries they find water(your pool). Shocking the pool and getting a fine mesh net will get rid of the ones in pool but to prevent take a bucket and mix dish soap and water and pour on concrete or deck around pool. This will create a barrier they will not pass. I know its sounds weird but believe me lol

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”