How to remove Algae in pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
JamesForth
I'm new here
I'm new here

How to remove Algae in pool

Postby JamesForth » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:16

I started trying to kill the algae in my pool. I bought new cartridges for my filter, pressure washed those cartridges and I still can't see the bottom of my pool or hot tub. I can now see the 2nd step in the pool and the seat in the hot tub. I don't know what else to do.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: How to remove Algae in pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:40

Ella Rollins
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Ella Rollins » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 06:39

Use pool shock to remove algae..
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 07:04

Don't guess what to do Slam the pool as in my previous post
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby paulbest » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 21:03

The main reason why algae grows in your pool is because it hasn’t be treated with a sanitizing chemical, like chlorine, or hasn’t been treated enough. Also, when your pool is lacking sanitation, and the water is stagnate, you’re gonna get algae. That’s why it’s important to keep the pool water moving with your filter and pump. It’s hard for algae to grow when the water is moving.

how to get rid of algae?

1. validate that the pool filter is clean and running properly
2. test the water to make sure the pH level is between 7.2 and 7.6 and adjust as required.
3.add an algaecide following the label directions and permit it to work 24 hours or over night.
4. the next day, brush and vacuum the pool surfaces. as needed, backwash or clean the filter to remove the collected algae and debris.
5. for heavy growth, perform a second algaecide treatment
6. As needed, retest the water for pH and total alkalinity. Black algae grows on pool walls and floors as a thick mat that quickly can ruin pool water. Mustard algae appears as yellow or orange spots, typically found on shaded walls and floors. It can be brushed off easily but will likely return if not treated properly. Mustard algae can be resistant to chlorine and some compounds in regular algaecides, so a special algaecide is required to eliminate it.
JoseCan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a fiberglass pool of size 16*32 and has a pebble Tec surface. We have a Jacuzzi pump and a cartridge filter.

Postby JoseCan » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:10

Algae spores can enter your pool by many ways like wind, rain, contaminated pool cleaning tools or swimsuits. They can very quickly spread through the pool and once they start spreading, it will be very difficult to get rid of them. There are different types of algae and the most aggravating strain of algae is the black algae. Here are few tips ( http://www.ferraripools.com/blog/pool-w ... ack-algae/ ) to get rid of them. Along with this try using Algaecides and algae stats. A combination of good filtration, sanitation and circulation would help you to prevent algae.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 01:11

Thanks for sharing the tips.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 02:41

Hello,

To remove algae in pool use chlorine. You can also choose a chlorine shock product. You need to brush the walls and floor of the swimming pool. Check the pH level of the pool daily.
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Postby azulverde » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 01:02

Brush the walls and floor of the swimming pool. Brush vigorously to remove as much of the algae as possible. This will reduce the amount of time it takes to kill and clear the algae bloom. Pay special attention to the steps, behind ladders, and other nooks and crannies where algae tends to gather.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 04:32

azulverde wrote:Brush the walls and floor of the swimming pool. Brush vigorously to remove as much of the algae as possible. This will reduce the amount of time it takes to kill and clear the algae bloom. Pay special attention to the steps, behind ladders, and other nooks and crannies where algae tends to gather.

Yes it isn't a spectator sport but the chlorine level must be raised to shock level and maintained until the algae is dead and the water clear. Brushing alone won't fix it.
Products called shock are just quickly dissolved but are often bad as they still contain stabilized chlorine which will add to what is probably and already high level. Use unstabilised source of chlorine like chlorox bleach.
Consider using a phosphate remover afterwards and definitely don't add algaecide! Its not strong enough to do anything but having it in the pool means the chlorine will get used up burning it out again.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”