Can you help me identify these bugs and help suggest treatment

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
NikCa18
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22000 gallon pool

Can you help me identify these bugs and help suggest treatment

Postby NikCa18 » Thu 15 Feb, 2018 03:05

Hi

I have 22,000 gallon chlorine pool (converted from salt to chlorine as salt water cell broke. It is perfectly balanced pool.

Since last few months, I have been seeing these bugs in cluster like the one shown in attached picture. I need to know what it is and how to get rid of them. Weirdest thing is that I don’t see many flying insects around the pool and these bugs appear dead. appreciate your inputs
Attachments
F23B7CE2-D500-4D4D-93C7-4A8C984A49FB.png
F23B7CE2-D500-4D4D-93C7-4A8C984A49FB.png (309.53 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Can you help me identify these bugs and help suggest treatment

Postby Teapot » Thu 15 Feb, 2018 03:11

Welcome Nik,
I am a pool engineer not a entomologist and your photo is out of focus which didn't help. Maybe these?
https://bugguide.net/images/raw/FLW/L3L ... KZVL8R.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 15 Feb, 2018 04:35

NikCa18 wrote:Hi friends

Since last few months we have been seeing this bugs in pool. Often clustered together. I have 22,000 galling perfectly balanced pool with chlorine at 4.

Hi Nik
Looking at your other post I'm continuing it here to keep continuity
How do you know you have a perfectly balanced pool and that free chlorine at 4 is the right level
How are you chlorinating now with pucks or bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
If you are using pucks your CYA could be excessive rendering your chlorine at 4 ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

You need to make sure you check the Chlorine / CYA Chart with relation to your recommended Pool Levels
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 03:28

Hi Nik!!!
In order to kill these aquatic bugs, you must take away their food supply. We know that water boatmen eat algae and backswimmers eat water boatmen. So, we need to start by getting rid of the pool algae, and in order to do that, we must shock! For this purpose, I would recommend double shocking your pool. That means for every 10,000 gallons of water your pool holds, you’ll be adding 2 (1 lb.) bags of chlorine shock (calcium hypochlorite). Shock must always be added at dusk or night time to prevent the sun from burning it off too quickly. After you successfully shock your pool, take your pool brush and scrub down the walls and floor of your pool. This will loosen up any algae that have been growing and release it into the water so that the chlorine shock has a better chance of killing it. Hope this may help you upto some extent.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 21 Mar, 2018 04:12

Err, read Nik's post, "these bugs appear dead".
Now we haven't heard back from Nik in over a month so draw your own conclusion.
NikCa18
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 22000 gallon pool

Postby NikCa18 » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 23:55

Sorry guys, I was locked out of account and could not connect. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR REPLIES. Here is update, I have cleaned up algae on walls and cleaned out pool so it appears that these bugs are gone. Now as warm weather approaches, will see if they come back. Will post update in next two weeks or so.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”