Well water struggles

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
reichlfamilywi
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28' above ground, sand filter, well water to fill

Well water struggles

Postby reichlfamilywi » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 10:33

Hi all,

This will be our 6th season with our 28' foot above ground pool. We have struggled with our well water from day one, although the first 3 seasons it seemed like we were able to get on top of it. We used the BBB method but also would use Metal Out after filling and every few weeks and that worked great, but the last 2 seasons it did not and we'd end up with greenish to brown water all the time. We winterized the pool last fall and will be getting ready to open next month (we live in northern WI so who knows when spring will actually be here, haha!) but we are trying to be proactive as we'd like to actually enjoy our pool this year. We've done some research and see that we can buy an attachment for our hose that the well water will go through before it even enters our pool and then we attach each time we need to top off the pool. Has anyone had experience with this, is it worth the $200+ to get? I figured we went thru way more than that in Metal Out chemicals (we tried a few different brands last year to try and get ahead of the problem), so the initial investment may be worth it if it works. We aren't sure if it makes sense to do the fill from what we drained before winter with this attachment or drain the whole pool and start over, which I know can be risky on the liner to do a full drain. We live in the country and have no other source or way to fill our pool, the town's fire department would use the yucky pond water if we could even pay them but they said no, that their tanks are filled with nasty stuff in the bottom and they would not advise doing that. I know that dealing with well water and a pool is a nightmare that most say to just avoid, but that's not an option for us. If any one has advice and has successfully dealt with well water issues, we'd love to hear from you!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Well water struggles

Postby Teapot » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 11:51

Metal out is not metal out! It's metal sequestration, the chlorine will do it's best to destroy the metal out and so you go round in a circle of expense and disappointment.
Do not know what gadget you are considering putting in line, perhaps you could send a link?
Otherwise, if it is iron you need to actually remove it from the water.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”