Geothermal pool water maitnence

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
gunnlaugice
I'm new here
I'm new here

Geothermal pool water maitnence

Postby gunnlaugice » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 10:02

Hello dear fellow pool geeks :)

I have a pool in Iceland, it's about 75-80K Liters. The pool water is geothermal water coming from the ground, we constantly pump water to the pool 24/7, I am not sure on the amount but I think it takes about 12-16 hours to get full. So I think we have new water in the pool 2 times a day. The pool is between 36-39°c hot the whole year. We have been trying to put chlorine but as I mentioned the water is constantly running so the chlorine dissolves very fast. I know this system is not the best but we have to have water constantly running from the geothermal water pipes so we use the excess water to heat the pool before it goes to the lake. We clean the pool every 2-4 weeks with a pressure washer and chlorine cleaning mix, this, as you may know, takes a lot of time. I wanted to ask you guys if you have any idea how we could lower the pool water maintenance. I can see the pool needs less cleaning during winter as there is less sun. Would it help much to have the pool covered when it is not in use to block out the sun? The pool is not in use much as it is a summerhouse, used maximum 2-3 days a week. We do not have any pool cover. The water is always clear but the pool walls will get green and dirty.

I appreciate all the help I can get, I am getting quite tired of the cleaning, maybe there is no solution to this :)

Thanks for the help, regards G.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Geothermal pool water maitnence

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 10:15

Hi gunnlaugice and welcome
Lucky you getting your pool heating for free, really jealous
We use a thermal blanket to keep our heat in but it will protect from the sun
The only way I can see to overcome this is to heat your pool indirectly with your geothermal source and put a closed filtration system for the pool which you could then chlorinate and adjust the water chemstry without it being washed away
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 11:06

Have had the water analysed, thinking of phosphate &Nitrate levels and anything else mineral wise that may come into the equation.
Certainly a new one on me but considering the water first before any other ideas
gunnlaugice
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gunnlaugice » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 12:03

Hey guys and thanks for the ideas and help, does anyone know how much the sun's part is in making the pool green on the walls? If it could decrease or slow it down with a pool cover or blanket it could be the only option without going into big constructions of changing the whole system. Thanks.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 12:36

Well the story isn't just with the sun, it could also be down to the nutrients in the water, hence my questions. Phosphate and nitrate are caffeine to algae, lower those and algae has a tough time without food.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”