Sand in above ground pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Grange
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27' above ground

Sand in above ground pool

Postby Grange » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 08:30

This year, I replaced my lateral since I previously had sand in the pool. I used the suggested 200lbs and your typical pool sand. I was careful to center the pole and I completely covered the top with duct tape when I poured the sand in. Yet....I still have sand in the pool. I can only guess that maybe when I backwash, it rises and goes down the lateral pole. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Sand in above ground pool

Postby Teapot » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 09:03

On backwash any sand loss into the center pipe goes down the waste pipe and not into the pool. Suggest you check the multiport valve gasket ( spider gasket)
Grange
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Grange » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 09:38

tks for the reply but what exactly am I checking it for? Should I just replace it? Not sure how the multiport would affect sand going in the pool but I'm open to suggestions.
Grange
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Grange » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 09:38

tks for the reply but what exactly am I checking it for? Should I just replace it? Not sure how the multiport would affect sand going in the pool but I'm open to suggestions.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 10:56

Broken or displaced spider gasket instead of a seal in the valve you could have a gap. It's easier to check than stripping down a filter, it only takes minutes to check. At least then you can rule it out and look to the air bleed pipe in the filter, the laterals or hub.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”