Water loss

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
ki18

Water loss

Postby ki18 » Wed 03 Aug, 2011 14:25

I have a concrete pool. I am losing about 1/2" to 3/4" a day. I brought my pump motor in & the store replaced the seal and said there is sign of air damage and they said I might have to replace the motor. I put a piece of cardboard under the pump/motor and don't see any water loss from the pump. I think I hear a whistling sound coming from the skimmer but I can't seem to trace it. It does appear to be losing more water when it is off.

There is some air getting into the main filter, I keep bleeding it as well. I sure home I don't have to replace a pipe which is located under the coral deck & has tile on it!

How can I check the fittings (pvc) for leaks? Would soapy water work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Water loss

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 08 Aug, 2011 23:53

ki18 wrote:I have a concrete pool. I am losing about 1/2" to 3/4" a day. I brought my pump motor in & the store replaced the seal and said there is sign of air damage and they said I might have to replace the motor. I put a piece of cardboard under the pump/motor and don't see any water loss from the pump. I think I hear a whistling sound coming from the skimmer but I can't seem to trace it. It does appear to be losing more water when it is off.

There is some air getting into the main filter, I keep bleeding it as well. I sure home I don't have to replace a pipe which is located under the coral deck & has tile on it!

How can I check the fittings (pvc) for leaks? Would soapy water work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The only way to check for leaks in the underground PVC (other than signs of mud/wet grass) is to have it digitally tested with sonar. They inject air into the system and use sonar with headphones and a mic. to find out where the leak is. Chances are, however, the leak is either around your skimmer plate, or the light niche or any connection point in the pool (steps, rails, etc...)
kaylee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have planned to construct a small size pool as we are short on yard space. It is a round shaped pool.

Re: Water loss

Postby kaylee » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 23:05

I agree with the opinion.
Sonars could be effective in finding leaks in a PVC pipe laid underground. Also, it is better to consult with an expert plumber.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”