Recently Replaced Sand in Filter

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
SaraG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is inground, plaster, sand filter, with pop ups. The size about 40 linear ft around.

Postby SaraG » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 10:06

Hello~

I was wondering is it possible to for sand in a filter to blow back into a pool. We recently replaced the sand in our filter. We are having troubles with the sand in our pool all of the time. We can backwash and vacuum and it seems to be right back when the pool settles down.

We have pop up filters that run through our pool too. I am not sure if that is an important to know or not.

We also just put in pavers around the pool, so I don't know if the sand is coming from there or not.

When my husband turns on the pool let it run it is sucking air through the backwash and the pressure on it is high.

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sun 24 Jun, 2012 11:49

Is it filter sand that is blowing back into the pool, or is it the desert trying to reclaim itself over your pool?

Yes, it's possible for filter sand to get into the pool if you have broken sand filter laterals. Sand filter laterals are plastic fingers at the bottom the tank that allow water to pass through, but keep the sand contained. If any of the laterals are broken, sand will get through.

"pop up filters", you have a in-floor cleaning system? They pop up and shoot water as to kick up the debris and herd it into the skimmer or floor drain? I would guess that if all your return water is going into the floor cleaner system, that would make your pressure high. 1) It's not a high flow output setup and 2) the water flow output is not constant. As the direction valve spins around, there's going to be a moment when water is not being sent to the pool.(depending on the system).

Changing out sand - Regular pool filter sand has a lifespan of 8 to 10 years. Shouldn't have to change it out like D.E. or cartridge filter systems that have an average life span of 4 years.
Zeo sand has a life expectancy of a week :roll: definitely needs frequent changing if you have money to throw down the drain.

Hope this helps

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”