I need help with my DE filter

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
myka3479
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My 48,000 gallons, DE Pentair Filter, 2 skimmers, Polaris Sweep,

Postby myka3479 » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 18:45

For many years my father to care who at their house however he was recently diagnosed with dementia and now is my responsibility. The problem is I have no clue what I'm doing and he does not remember how he used to keep it maintained. I watched a few videos on the proper way to change and clean the DE filter but I apparently am doing it incorrectly because the pool is filled with what looks like sand on the entire bottom. Whenever I turn on the filter and the water starts to shoot up the Jets first it shoots out cloudy and I'm assuming that is DE from the filter. After a few minutes the clouds start to dissipate in the Jets begin to shoot Clearwater. I added a link to a video so you can see with your own eyes what is happening. I would greatly appreciate any help on what I have been doing wrong so I can correct it and get my pool sparkling clean.

[url]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c8sqHcJA7Vg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 13:17

Myka,

I'm sorry, but I can't get your link to work. There are a few common causes of DE blowing back into the pool. Try checking the following:

Without knowing the make & model of your filter, here's some general stuff that should help:

1) Does the filter have a multiport valve? It would be mounted on the front of the filter and have different positions for backwash/filter/waste etc. The lid of this valve is held down with several screws. With they system off, take the lid off the valve and check the gaskets inside. There is a "Wagon Wheel" shaped gasket in the multiport. When that gasket goes bad, it will cause DE to blow back into the pool. Depending on the make/model of your filter the gasket usually costs 10-20 bucks.

2) If the multiport is OK, open the filter up and check the insides. Your filter element should be made up of a series of grids, or panels that are covered in fabric. Check these for any rips or holes. The grids connect to a top piece (manifold). Check the manifold for any cracks, as well as the fitting where the grid connects to the manifold.

Hope that helps! Please let us know your findings.

-CG

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”