Shock/Chlorine/ cloudy

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Kabul-Pool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Shock/Chlorine/ cloudy

Postby Kabul-Pool » Fri 07 Jul, 2006 14:09

We have an above ground pool here and I am out of PH testing strips - so don't ask me about what my ph, alk, or anything else is right now.

1. I'm wondering about what "shock" is? Is it just a term to refer to putting a tonne of chlorine in your pool, or is it a specific product? If so, how does that differ from putting a tonne of chlorine in your pool.

2. Combined Chlorine: I put about 1800 grams of granulated calcium hyperchlorite into the pool tonight. It went cloudy as I both sprinkled and poured some into the filter. Is this normal? I can now smell the chlorine, and I'm wondering at what point should I stop smelling it? If the smell is coming from the combined chlorine, do I just keep adding more? When do I stop? Does that combined chlorine just get filtered out, or does it stop smelling after it has disinfected what it's trying to disinfect?

3. We have constant, non-cloudy, sun all day long here. How often should I expect to put more chlorine in the water? How fast should I expect the chlorine in the pool to dissipate without stabilizer?

4. Will sunblock and suntanning oils ruin our filter? What should I do with this issue?

Thanks for any help...
Jeff

pk4217
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Shock/Chlorine/ cloudy

Postby pk4217 » Tue 11 Jul, 2006 21:27

FIRST, get yourself a test kit. Without the test kit, even the expert will not know what's wrong with the water chemical, and how can anybody help you online?

shock means you put in enough chlorine to a level of 10, 20 or even 30 times from the normal range of 1 to 2 ppm. you must calculate the size of you pool and the desired amount of chlorine to create that situation, don't throw in just tonne of chlorine where you might create, do the math first.

I'd say don't put any chlorine in your skimmer, pump or filter. 1.8kg of chlorine? but first need to know what type of chlorine you're using, how many percent? and the size of your pool?

well, need to know some of your data before I can try to give you advise.
Dkrippse

Re: Shock/Chlorine/ cloudy

Postby Dkrippse » Mon 14 Aug, 2006 22:12

Kabul-Pool wrote:We have an above ground pool here and I am out of PH testing strips - so don't ask me about what my ph, alk, or anything else is right now.

1. I'm wondering about what "shock" is? Is it just a term to refer to putting a tonne of chlorine in your pool, or is it a specific product? If so, how does that differ from putting a tonne of chlorine in your pool.

2. Combined Chlorine: I put about 1800 grams of granulated calcium hyperchlorite into the pool tonight. It went cloudy as I both sprinkled and poured some into the filter. Is this normal? I can now smell the chlorine, and I'm wondering at what point should I stop smelling it? If the smell is coming from the combined chlorine, do I just keep adding more? When do I stop? Does that combined chlorine just get filtered out, or does it stop smelling after it has disinfected what it's trying to disinfect?

3. We have constant, non-cloudy, sun all day long here. How often should I expect to put more chlorine in the water? How fast should I expect the chlorine in the pool to dissipate without stabilizer?

4. Will sunblock and suntanning oils ruin our filter? What should I do with this issue?

Thanks for any help...
Jeff

Do Not put Chlorine directly into your skimmer. Also, I wouldn't use calcium hypochlorite in a vinyl pool. It doesn't dissolve well enough and can make the water very cloudy. I've had that happen. Have your water tested. There are chemicals you can add to the pool that when circulating through the filter, they will help to clean the filter. The sand in the filter should be changed a minimum of every 3 years.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”