Dirt in pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
19by41
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: vinyl liner 19X41 oval
Hayward pump and sand filter
35 years old
2 skimmers, 2 returns

Dirt in pool

Postby 19by41 » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 15:58

I've been operating this 19x41 vinyl pool for 35 years, but this year I've run into a problem I've been unable to solve.
The pool gets dirt on the bottom when the pump system operates. The water is crystal clear, but there's dirt on the bottom.
The pump stops running at noon. The pool can be completely clean. The pump restarts at 3AM and when I check it at 6AM, the water is clear but there's dirt on the bottom.
I've closed the valve on each skimmer (two), plugged the return lines (two) and run the pump with the filter on recirculate. I did all this stuff one at a time, but each morning the pool has dirt in it.
I've left the pump off for 24 hours and the pool stays clean so it's something in the pump/filter scheme. One more thing - I have a gas heater that is between the pump and the pool. There is no way to bypass the heater without cutting the pipes and installing a bypass and adding a couple of valves. The heater is 15 to 20 years old.
Any ideas? Anything you can think of that I can try?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Dirt in pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 06:55

Hi

Have you backwashed
You can try vacuuming to waste, then see if it comes back
How old is the sand in the filter 3 to 5 years it may need replacing
Have you tried a flocculant as fine dirt can find it's way through new sand

Regarding the heater you have already got the right idea. Fit a bypass
19by41
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: vinyl liner 19X41 oval
Hayward pump and sand filter
35 years old
2 skimmers, 2 returns

Dirt in pool

Postby 19by41 » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 08:23

Yeah, I've backwashed. The sight glass on the filter shows that some grayish dirt is being expelled. That's the same color as the dirt that collects on the bottom.
I like the idea of flocculent and vacuum to waste. I had a problem a number of years ago that was solved by doing that.
I'm also going to try diatomaceous earth (DE). I've heard that you can feed in a small amount of DE into the skimmer of a sand filter and coat the top of the sand. This is supposed to greatly improve the performance of the filter with regard to filtering out very small particles. Very small particles might indeed be the problem. My next door neighbor has had construction going on in his back yard for most of the summer. Mostly masonry (pavers, etc.) work with lots of grinding. Sometimes it looked foggy in my yard from the dust from next door.
Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts.
Jackson1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Dirt in pool

Postby Jackson1 » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 15:55

I also found dirt on the floor of my pool recently. Seems I have a similar type of problem. Thanks for all the information.
Hey, does anyone know about the service that this company - Ameraguard provides? (Spray-on coating?) I want to get it for my truck bed and boat, but would like to hear any and all experiences with it. Thanks!
Venetia Rose
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I got my pool custom made by Ferrari pools. It's an awesome pool with all the additions.

Dirt in pool

Postby Venetia Rose » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 01:24

Get swimming pool maintenance done on a weekly basis.This would be the best way to ward off any dirt in the pool. A friend of mine had a similar problem and she researched and hired Ferrari Pools and got a proper swimming pool maintenance and a cleaning done.
rod7
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Dirt in pool

Postby rod7 » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 06:11

Venetia Rose, I think that swimming pool maintenance on a weekly basis can be really expensive. Owner of the post, why don't you get yourself a pool cleaner, which will do cleaning for you? They have some good reviews about different cleaners you can choose. I know the owner, so I recommend it. :) Hope this helps.
Greys0n
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Greys0n » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 07:18

You can try vacuuming to waste, then see if it comes back
CharlotteEhle
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CharlotteEhle » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 07:55

I think you should maintain a routine by which you should vacuum the waste regularly and apart from that you should change some old systems in your pool they do have a tendency to get less efficient over the period of five years.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 06:53

Hello All,

To prevent your pool from the dirt you should regularly maintain your pool. There are many tools and equipment available such as vacuum-filter and automatic cleaner.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”