Goes green only after a few days.

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
roadway87
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18'x36', half is 4' deep and the other drops to about 10'. it has one skimmer and two returns. I have a 2hp pump for it with a sand filter. Its fresh water.

Goes green only after a few days.

Postby roadway87 » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 18:55

Hello,
Almost three years ago my wife and I bought a house with a pool. The first year we put in a new liner and a new 2hp pump. That year we didn't have a single problem. These last two years has been a nightmare. Last year it was green most of the year. We took samples of the water several times to the local pool place and every time the water was perfect, most times there was too much chlorine. It wasn't till the end of the season we were told to use yellow out to clear the pool. It worked great then we closed it for the season. This year has been much the same except when I use yellow out, it'll stay clear for about a week or two then right back to green.
I was told by someone to switch to salt water, that it would help this problem go away for the most part. I was wondering if that was true?
I was also told that my pool doesn't have enough circulation. It is 18' by 36', half is 4' deep and the other drops to 10' deep with only one skimmer and two returns. I was wonder do I need to add anything?
I'm at the point of hiring someone to maintain it or just filling it in(but the wife would kill me).
Thanks for any input.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Goes green only after a few days.

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:19

First of all don't rely on the pool store figures or strips,get a test kit and post the numbers back
You don't say how you chlorinate your pool. Stabilised chlorine granules and pucks add Cyanuric acid which when it builds up makes your chlorine ineffective
It seems you may need to Slam your pool. Don't miss anything out and it does need correct numbers

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”