Pseudomonas ( I think )

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Marc

Pseudomonas ( I think )

Postby Marc » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 00:55

Hi guys,
I have a pool health question.
I have rented a house with a pool in Indonesia for a month and went for a swim as soon as I moved in yippie!!
When I realised that the water was really sour I went out again but it was obviously too late.

I tested tested the water and it turned out that the pH was <6.2, and the chlorine level undetectable.

Now I have a nice case of pseudomonas folliculitis on my back.

The owners are former rice-farmers and very nice but quite inexperienced with
pools and guests.

It looks like the house was unoccupied for over a month and a half and they haven't maintained the pool in this time.

The pool guy for the property is like 15y.o. and although he is very nice and smiley, has no clue what he is doing.

So my questions are:
1. Is there anything more dangerous I can expect to get from my little swimming session ?

2. How do I get the damn water swim-safe ? I can't really exchange all the filters, drain the pool and rub everything etc. Is it safe to just shock it with chlorine ? Should that make it bearable or do I just have to face the fact that I'll spend a really hot time without a pool ?

I already paid for the property and can't get it back anymore. Also apart from the pool it is actually a good deal.

I would be eternally thankful for some helpful answers and
also if trolls could keep the :
"Don't ever swim there again" or
"call professional help"-comments to a minimum since they are not really an option

Thank you heeps!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pseudomonas ( I think )

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 05:28

Don't worry we can get your pool healthy again it may cost you some but will give you peace of mind
1 Get a decent test kit (probably the largest outlay)
2 Check your Cyanuric acid (stabilisor)and adjust with Chlorine / CYA Chart excessive CYA will render your chlorine ineffective. If it is excessive a partial drain and refill will be necessary
3 Raise your pH to 7.2 to 7.5 (aeration will raise without adding any more chemicals) Pool Maths will tell you how much to add if you can't aerate
4 Slam the pool, don't miss anything and do exactly as it says
5 Read Pool School there is a lot of useful info there

What's needed

Liquid chlorine, Bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid (lowers TA and pH)
Bicarbonate of soda (raises TA)
Soda ash (sodium carbonate) to raise pH. Aeration is prefered but being so low may need help
You may not need any Cyanuric acid as the pool care company were probably using stabilised chlorine

When you have the pool nicely balanced and during the process to get it there, don't let the pool care company use any chemicals just clean the pool

It may seem daunting but it isn't that bad to get there

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”