clear water that turned green and now is swamp brown!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.

clear water that turned green and now is swamp brown!

Postby guest » Mon 17 Jul, 2006 21:04

HELP!!! I had totally beautiful, clear pool water. Then I got this little bit of brown stuff that was sitting on the bottom of the pool, when you moved the water around it the brown stuff would make a little "poof" and eventually there was enough that when the kids swam the water would get cloudy. We used clarifiers but it always settled on the bottom again. Then it turned a little yellow and the next day the deep end was dark green. You couldn't see the bottom. I added algicide and the pool turned brown and you cant see the bottom anywhere. I added 3 bags of burn out and sitll nothing. It's Brown and gross. We ended up at the public pool today...HELP!!!

DKrippse

Re: clear water that turned green and now is swamp brown!

Postby DKrippse » Mon 14 Aug, 2006 21:43

guest wrote:HELP!!! I had totally beautiful, clear pool water. Then I got this little bit of brown stuff that was sitting on the bottom of the pool, when you moved the water around it the brown stuff would make a little "poof" and eventually there was enough that when the kids swam the water would get cloudy. We used clarifiers but it always settled on the bottom again. Then it turned a little yellow and the next day the deep end was dark green. You couldn't see the bottom. I added algicide and the pool turned brown and you cant see the bottom anywhere. I added 3 bags of burn out and sitll nothing. It's Brown and gross. We ended up at the public pool today...HELP!!!

Three pounds of shock is very little if you have a large pool. I have a 15000 gallon above ground and I use that much shock every 4-5 days. Of course, I do live in South Louisiana where the temperature is very hot. You need to have that water professionally tested. I'm sure you can find a pool supplier that will test your water for free. The "poofy" brown substance can be brown algae or simply mud. I have sugar cane fields all around me and when the farmers are cutting, burning, or plowing I get these mud spots on the bottom of my pool. Let it settle and then vacuum to waste. Now that it is that bad, shock the heck out of the water. Then flock the pool. Run the pump for two hours then turn it off for 24 hours to let the residue settle and then vacuum to waste. Make sure your pH and alkalinity are correct so that your shock is able to work properly. Hope this helps!

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”