3 dead fox puppies in pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
rpmd

3 dead fox puppies in pool

Postby rpmd » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 08:48

Hi,

My pool service just informed me while opening my pool they found 3 dead foxes who had seemed to be floating under the cover for a while. Putting aside the grossness of this (and whether I would want to swim in it), do I need to drain the pool, acid wash and refill? That is what the pool company is recommending at a cost of $1500. Or would a intensive shock regimen take care of safety issues?

Thanks

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: 3 dead fox puppies in pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 11:41

The general opinion is if your chlorine is in line with your Chlorine / CYA Chart you should be fine albiet it wouldn't hurt to bring it up to shock level for your CYA
The reason I mention CYA is that you are using a pool company who tend to use stabilised chlorine pucks which when CYA is high they render your chlorine ineffective. Meaning you have to use more chlorine to sanitise your pool, ditto for shock
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
rpmd

Postby rpmd » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 08:44

Thank you Dennis!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 09:18

Happy to help get people on the right track to maintain their own pools at minimum expense
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 22:37

This why people should install pool fence.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”