Algae layer on the surface

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
claire25
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool covers an area of almost 50 sq ft, it is a normal type, tiles are used for the surface, cholrine filtered.

Algae layer on the surface

Postby claire25 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 00:24

My pool surface is getting some sort of brownish algae. So i asked a fellow swimmer from the club to check out the issue, she told me that algae can be transferred from atmosphere, swim suits or when your pets jumps into your pool. I can not do anything about atmosphere, i was having doubts about the material i was using for my swimming wear so i have changed my shop from where i buy swim suits to Cupshe Coupons at Reecoupons and now i have restricted the pool area as a no zone for my pets. Like i don't let them go near pool. But the issue is still there. I have to ask to clean the entire pool almost every three days and that is making me sick. Please suggest me what to do.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Algae layer on the surface

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 01:58

Hi Claire
I see you have responded to my post, anything you're not sure about come back and we will try to help
Algae is a natural occurence. It's true that algae can be in places that you can't see (light niches) and slam chlorine doesn't remove it.
However the rest is a lot of baloney, you can wash your swimsuit after swimming in an algae pool and what about all the animals that fall into the pool and drown
Keep your chlorine up to the recommended level and you should be fine
claire25
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool covers an area of almost 50 sq ft, it is a normal type, tiles are used for the surface, cholrine filtered.

Postby claire25 » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 23:32

Dennis can you please provide me some more details? like how much chlorine should do?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 02:14

Hi Claire
Everything is explained in my post you responded to
First of all how are you chlorinating? If pucks stop immediately and get some liquid chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Then get a complete set of numbers. You really need to get your own test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF100)
Pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
My pool:
Pool chemicals:
My pump & filter:

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”