Turn pump off for vacation

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
KatieD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 fiberglass

Turn pump off for vacation

Postby KatieD » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 11:34

We must] turn our pool off for a 7 day vacation in July (PA). Would it be better to leave the solar cover on or keep it off? We have a fiberglass pool and I was planning to put extra chlorine and algaecide in it and hope for the best. We normally never have any issues and always have sparkling clear water. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for 7 days without the pump running?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Turn pump off for vacation

Postby Teapot » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 14:12

Yes don't use algaecide, your chlorine will be used up quicker burning out the algaecide if you do. Can't advise anything else unless you show us the numbers for your pool water.
Chlorine, pH, stabiliser, Alk, calcium hardness.
Why cant you leave the pump running or at least put it on a timer for a while?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 16:57

Or just use pucks providing your CYA isn't to high
KatieD
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 fiberglass

Postby KatieD » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 07:06

Thanks Teapot for the tip on the algaecide, that's why I turned to this forum!

Denniswisemann I was planning on floating pucks in our winter floater, should I also add additional liquid chlorine?

My reasoning for turning it off - We have our pool on a timer but our equipment is getting old and we have had a few problems lately. The other week while we were swimming the pop off valve blew and it was spewing water straight up. If that would have happened while we were gone it would have emptied the pool and still continued to cycle every day. We are out in the country, gated property, with no close neighbors. All our family and close friends are going on this same trip. I would rather come home to green water than an empty pool that has popped out of the ground, being that it is fiberglass.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 07:42

Ok, if its potentially unreliable then I understand. How about water figures?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 12:14

KatieD wrote:Thanks Teapot for the tip on the algaecide, that's why I turned to this forum!

Denniswisemann I was planning on floating pucks in our winter floater, should I also add additional liquid chlorine?

My reasoning for turning it off - We have our pool on a timer but our equipment is getting old and we have had a few problems lately. The other week while we were swimming the pop off valve blew and it was spewing water straight up. If that would have happened while we were gone it would have emptied the pool and still continued to cycle every day. We are out in the country, gated property, with no close neighbors. All our family and close friends are going on this same trip. I would rather come home to green water than an empty pool that has popped out of the ground, being that it is fiberglass.

I have not long returned from a 7 day vacation and I boosted my chlorine with liquid chlorine up to shock level for my CYA as indicated in the Chlorine / CYA Chart
Allow it to mix thoroughly, cover and turn off the electric supply to the pool
When I returned there was still chlorine in the water
You should be OK

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”