alkalinity increaser turning your pool purple

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
curious

alkalinity increaser turning your pool purple

Postby curious » Wed 23 Aug, 2006 13:09

is it true that adding too much alkalinity increaser at one time will turn my pool water purple

me
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: alkalinity increaser turning your pool purple

Postby me » Mon 28 Aug, 2006 09:48

curious wrote:is it true that adding too much alkalinity increaser at one time will turn my pool water purple

"Alkalinity Increaser" is just baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, it's a base (as opposed to an acid), it acts as a buffer to prevent any wild pH swings. It increases alkalinity and pH. I've seen a fair share of pools myself and have never witnessed the pool water turning purple.

You could try to fill a pail with pool water and add baking soda to it to experiment if you have concerns about your pool water.
kamkuda
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby kamkuda » Thu 07 Sep, 2006 05:57

It is likely manganese. Most pool stores do not test this as it is an uncommon problem. Call the pool store first to see if they can tet for manganese.
pooldoctor

PURPLE POOL

Postby pooldoctor » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 15:14

Purple pools can be manganese related, but I have also seen a purple pool result from very high cyanuric acid in combination with high alkalinity. The condition has a name, which happens to escape me at this moment. The easiest, fastest treatment is partial drain and refill to reduce the CYA. You can try a floculant before that, though.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”