Chlorine is missing

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Done487
I'm new here
I'm new here

Chlorine is missing

Postby Done487 » Fri 01 Jul, 2005 11:02

I need help, I shocked my pool last night with 8 gallons (pool is 18,000 gal. in-ground liner) this morning I still show no chlorine. For a week now my pool has had a light green tint to the water. It started when we left for vacation. The solor cover was left on and the temp rose to 94 in the pool. The inline chlorinator was empty and algea was present. We killed the algea and shocked the pool. The chlorine was not registering no matter what I did. I took a smaple to the pool store they told me the TA was twice as high as the upper limit. Over the week I added three gallons of Muriatic acid. Now the TA and PH are okay, but still no chlorine level in the pool. Now after going to another pool store with better testing equipment they are telling me that I need to add 16 gallons tonight and to keep doing that until we get on top of the chlorine level. Can anyone share the wisdom or their experince with doing this. Plus, why did my pool do that and what's keeping the pool from registering the chlorine? Last night it bubbled up white flakes and foam after the 8 gallons. I have added clarifier but can't clear the water. UPDATE 7/2/05, last night I added 16 gal. liquid shock, this morning no chlorine. I noticed the Ph was low, I started adding Ph+, it created a froth on the surface of the pool, that freaked me out. The water is still a light green color and cloudy. Someone please help!!!

18,000 gallon 16x32 with a 5ft deep end.

Bubble bath

Postby Guest » Mon 04 Jul, 2005 19:07

Sounds like you have a bubble bath :lol:

Postby Guest » Tue 05 Jul, 2005 05:47

Have your water tested for stabilizer. This keeps the chlorine from burning off so fast. My pool is 40,000 gallons 20x40 with vinyl liner. I shock with 3 gallons of liquid chlorine and that is plenty. You are going to bleach your liner and help deteriorate it. Chlorine is a corrosive.. Once stabilizer is present this should help maintain the chlorine. Only add chemicals at night and in small doses to get water right. Hope this helps. P.S. I only put my solar cover on at night to keep the heat in the pool, I dont put the cover on when I shock the pool, because this will wreck your solar cover. I wait a day or two.. and then put cover back on...We are going on vacation and I will leave my cover off, leaving it on I bellieve breeds algae.

pool

Postby Guest » Tue 05 Jul, 2005 05:48

Have your water tested for stabilizer. This keeps the chlorine from burning off so fast. My pool is 40,000 gallons 20x40 with vinyl liner. I shock with 3 gallons of liquid chlorine and that is plenty. You are going to bleach your liner and help deteriorate it. Chlorine is a corrosive.. Once stabilizer is present this should help maintain the chlorine. Only add chemicals at night and in small doses to get water right. Hope this helps. P.S. I only put my solar cover on at night to keep the heat in the pool, I dont put the cover on when I shock the pool, because this will wreck your solar cover. I wait a day or two.. and then put cover back on...We are going on vacation and I will leave my cover off, leaving it on I bellieve breeds algae.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”