Pool Attracting Flies

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby Guest » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 17:02

Hello all, I have the same problem. Im from brooklyn New York, I never seen so many flies in previous years. it seems we all have the same trouble, same solutions. but nothing is working..can someone help !!

Adam Brooklyn N.Y. :shifty:

ATOM1965

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby ATOM1965 » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 17:04

Hello all, I have the same problem. Im from brooklyn New York, I never seen so many flies in previous years. it seems we all have the same trouble, same solutions. but nothing is working..can someone help !!

Adam Brooklyn N.Y. :shifty:
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 15:45

Did it just rain? This usually has to do with a good rain storm, along with the high heat of spring/summer! Only thing you can do is skim them out of the pool then hope their friends decide not to enjoy your pool too! another option, is if it is going to rain, turn on the pump skimmer. :D
bugged

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby bugged » Tue 03 Aug, 2010 00:22

We live in rural Ohio - we have had our pool for 3 years & have never experienced this- not only are the flies in the pool they are constantly landing on you- we had to call it quits the other evening it got so bad. Why doesn't anyone seem to know how to help??!! This started for us about 1 week ago. Up until then it was the sweat bees! Ouch!
aej6

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby aej6 » Sun 29 Aug, 2010 17:45

Googled 'Flies in the pool" and landed here (no pun intended.)
SOO glad I'm not the only one!
Nightmare...have been skimming all day and can't take it any more.

-Boston-
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby swimfit » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 01:42

Not sure of the proportion of the constituents used. Check on the chlorine level, and best of all just give a call to your pool constructors on this issue. They will come inspect and resolve the issue with remedial steps.
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby dalehileman » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 11:34

Out here in the middle of the Mojve Desert we have irregular visitations of all sorts of insects, especially moths who make me feel guilty by fluttering around, trapped by the surface tension, helpless in tiny circles; exacerbated by or practice leaving cover off during the winter so that we may better monitor water conditions

I assuage this guilt by the proposition that this sort of thing occurs naturally as an evolutionary phenom also on lakes and streams to hinder overpopulation but Idon't believe myself

For those of you in the planning stages, consider orienting your pool in such a direction that your prevailing wind aids in carrying flotsam toward the skimmer port
dalehileman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 15 x 40 ft inground fiberglass

Afteerthought

Postby dalehileman » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 13:58

By the sheerest coincidence Dean: Each season during the 13 years we've possessed it, we've had a different infestation of some kind. But only just this fall, after my post above, we are also visited by houseflies, thousands upon thousands of them

God insists that Each morn I fish out those still struggling though it doesn't assuage my conscince
Bethy

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby Bethy » Fri 11 May, 2012 13:10

I have a MAJOR sweat bee problem too. My local pool dealer told me to add 20lbs of salt to my pool (I do not have a salt water pool). He said the odor from the salt would repel them and it would not adversely affect my pool at all. I bought the salt but have not used it yet, as I am continuing to research the subject. I'm also thinking, hmm, sweat bees are attracted to human sweat/salt. Things that make you go HHHMMM.
My phosphates were also high and have been treated. Anyone found the magic sweat bee repel yet?????
rodneymasenten
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Information about pool fences, pool nets, pool covers, pool deck plugs, pool deck caps, pool sleeves, pool alarm etc

Pool Attracting Flies

Postby rodneymasenten » Sat 12 May, 2012 01:01

It seems your problem can be resolved by pool nets. Please check same and contact local pool maintenance company for exact solution for your problems of flies.
Bob in Ozarks

Re: Pool Attracting Flies

Postby Bob in Ozarks » Fri 12 May, 2017 08:26

We have that problem this year (2017) for the first time. The pool was opened, but still too cold to swim and then literally thousands of black flies with small wings and fat bodies were covering the pool surface. I think the algicide I used this year (different brand) attracts them and it kills the surface tension of the water, so when the fly lands, he sinks a bit, gets wet and then can't fly away. We have skimmed our pool every day and every day we have a skimmer basket full of dead flies and hundreds more on the surface. Sort of like a plague.
On the good news, we had no flies hovering around the grill when we were cooking.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”