SKIN RASH! HELP!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 21:32

I don't think you shocked the pool with chlorine, did you? Just draining the water and refilling isn't necessarily going to kill all the bacteria. Now that you have fresh water in the pool, get the water chemistry into balance -- a pH near 7.5, TA around 80, CH around 300, CYA around 30. Then shock with chlorine at 12 ppm FC (or whatever is 40% of your CYA level you get to) and keep it at the level for at least 24 hours. Then after you let the chlorine drop a bit (below 10 ppm), see how your daughter does with the rash.

If you need to add some CYA, you can use Dichlor to do that since it dissolves quickly and for every 1 ppm FC you add you also get 0.9 ppm CYA. Just don't overdo it -- keep track of how much you add. One pound of Dichlor (dihydrate) in 10,000 gallons raises the FC by 6.6 ppm and the CYA by 6.0 ppm so you can scale to your pool size accordingly. After you've reached your desired CYA level, switch to bleach or chlorinating liquid or if your Calcium Hardness is low you can use Cal-Hypo (for every 1 ppm FC from Cal-Hypo you get 0.7 ppm CH).

And when you shock, don't forget to put everything into the pool that you would later put in the pool such as pools, brushes, etc. Also don't forget to clean the swimsuits with hot soapy water.

katiasmom
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby katiasmom » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 21:48

No chlorine added. Drained. Acid washed. Refilled. No chemicals. I am printing out what you said and taping it for the pool guy to see when he comes by tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted! Thanks
Daniel

Plavix and bleeding

Postby Daniel » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 13:40

Generic Plavix may make it easier for you to bleed, even from a minor injury. See your physician or seek emergency medical attention if you have bleeding which will not stop.

You can also have bleeding on the inside of your body, such as in your stomach or intestines. See your physician at once if you have black or bloody stools, or if you cough up blood or vomit which looks like coffee grounds
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Plavix and bleeding

Postby Backglass » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 15:00

Daniel wrote:Generic Plavix may make it easier for you to bleed, even from a minor injury. See your physician or seek emergency medical attention if you have bleeding which will not stop.

You can also have bleeding on the inside of your body, such as in your stomach or intestines. See your physician at once if you have black or bloody stools, or if you cough up blood or vomit which looks like coffee grounds

Keep head and hands inside of car at all times.

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.

For external use only.

Do not run with scissors.

Emits shower of sparks. Light fuse, get away.

Postby Guest » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 18:15

^^Huh?! :shock:

I hope katiasmom figured this out and atleast fired her poolboy.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:38

Anonymous wrote:^^Huh?! :shock:

I hope katiasmom figured this out and atleast fired her poolboy.

Well as long as spammers were quoting unrelated warnings, I thought I would join in the fun. :lol:

I too hope she learned to handle her own pool affairs. It's like most things in life. If you want things done right, learn...and do it yourself.
nick
I'm new here
I'm new here

Rash and itching

Postby nick » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 07:12

Hello all, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this problem we're having with a local hotel pool.

The other day myself and a friend went swimming in this indoor hotel pool, the next day we both had itchy skin with a rash and our costumes had specks of white residue on them when they dried, I have washed mine twice and it won't come out, though you can pick the specks off.

I asked the pool maintenance man about it, he says he didn't add any chemicals to the pool that day, although I'm a bit suspicious that he may not be being truthful. He showed me his chart measuring ph, which was at 7.4 everyday for the last month, except the day I complained, which was at 6.8, him saying that he only added chemicals on that day and not on the day we went swimming.

We have swam there for a while, and never had any problems before, although since I have spoken to several friends that say they have had similar problems.

I asked him what he used in the pool and he said he used Bromine and not Chlorine, and in a powder form, not tablets.

I have looked at a few pool sites, and none of them mention powdered Bromine, only tablets?

My guess is that he added this powder just before we went swimming and it hadn't dissolved properly, hence the white crystalline specks on the costumes that won't come out.

I wonder if anyone here can shed some light on this?

Thanks
Nick
imjewelee

My daughter has the rash EZ Pool

Postby imjewelee » Sat 24 May, 2008 06:50

Hello Everyone, I have read your posts....last year my daughter got the "rash" terrible constant itch and it shows up eveywhere....legs, arms, belly, back,....I do not run to a doctor so waited and tried different things....did not think about the pool chemicals......so we did go to doc and he prescribed our "miracle" cream said our rash was ezcema and she was healed ta da! Well it was actually from the pool season had stopped and no more swimming.....so this year we went on vacation and at the pool we had a slight rash.....no big concern but an aha moment occured....could be from the pool ....... we just opened our pool 3 days ago ........ did not have the EZ Pool in yet .......... we originally had Bacquacil for 7 years (expensive, timely, confusing, lots of stuff to buy, but beautiful water and skin no rashes there) then we got the water mold and was told our pool was "immune" to the Bacquacil so we switched....so my thing is that our children's rashes are caused by SOMETHING in our pool. I do not know what that SOMETHING is but we may have to switch back to Baquacil I am doing more research to see if I can find anything all I DO know is that EZ Pool has copper as it's main ingredient so if anybody else knows please let us know!! THank you! Julee
imjewelee

itchy rash cream READ

Postby imjewelee » Sat 24 May, 2008 07:30

OK I investigated on the net (don't you love the info you can get, WOW)...There is a cream you can use to prevent the rash it is called Derma Swim Pro and looks to be a little pricey (but hey we will try anything at this point) they have a website you can visit! I am going to try our waterproof sunscreen to see if that will work and in my readings I heard if you rinse off quickly after swimming that should help......although my daughter swims for hours so I don't think in our case it will be the rinsing that will work.....I also read that it is the "bromine" they are getting the rash from and not the chlorine hmmm.....just glad to know ours is not ezcema ......... and we may switch back to Baquacil ...........thanks for the posts hope this helps. GOD bless!Julee
kimkromann
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground doughboy 16x28 previous owner of inground gunite.

Skin Rash! Help!

Postby kimkromann » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 17:56

Hi. I am wondering if you ever resolved the issue of the rashes? I have been a swimmer for years. I went quite a few years without swimming then bought a house with an inground pool (gunite construction) After a few weeks of swimming I began having a rash all over my legs, arms, and hands about a day or two after swimming. The rash was the most itchy thing ever. I scratched until I left scars it was that bad. I changed from Chlorine to baquacil, that didn't do it. I had skin test after test with no conclusion. The diagnosis was exzema. I tried everything and then just stopped swimming. While traveling I went into a hotel pool, no problems. The next summer I went to a public pool several times, no problem. I moved to another city with different water conditions (one of the public pools I had been to is blocks from my new house) so I thought maybe it was the city water. Last week I put up an above ground pool. I went swimming in it the first couple days with no problem, then woke up this morning with that terrible rash again. I am ready to give up, but I love swimming with my kids and tired of sitting in the heat watching them while they swim. Please help!
Alexzander09

SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby Alexzander09 » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 07:25

Home remedies of skin rashes are...

*Aloe Vera: Widely known for treating burns and sunburns, aloe vera also helps in healing wounds and minor skin irritations such as itchiness and rashes. This plant produces anti inflammatory, anti bacterial, and anti fungal properties. It also contains folic acid, zinc, and vitamins C and E.
*Applying olive oil to the rash could provide some relief.
*Using baking powder on the affected area is another suggestion to deal with body and back rash.

For less red...
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby swimfit » Thu 23 Dec, 2010 05:13

Please do a test of the water sample and make sure the constituents are right. What sanitizers do you use?
lisaa
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby lisaa » Wed 12 Jan, 2011 02:49

it might be a allergic infection, i will say clean your pool
fruitloop

SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby fruitloop » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 13:07

:( Wait until you end up with itching, scars, burning, etc; for 9 yrs. after a pool maintenance guy pours in chemicals while you are in the water and tells you, 'you don't need to get out, this won't hurt you". This was in florida while visiting relatives at their housing complex in St. Augustine. I have been to dermatologists, immunologist, mayo clinic, allergists, you name it. I worry about skin cancer. I also question: Do I have a legal case here? I would have to back track to the date, question the manager (if still there) about the pool procedures. I have never heard that it is "safe" from any other pool maintenance. usually these things are done off hours, and a certain amount of time has to lapse before people are allowed to use the pool. It was very hot that day, the pool had bugs in it, and I got out, my suit left on while we then went to the beach. I started itching that night and now years later wonder about those chemicals put in the pool that day. Thats the only thing I can think of that caused this, but why so long? Any answers to this puzzle? Keeping my skin cool or ice packs, lidoderm patches help, but creams and injections don't last. Thanks

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”