High Pressure, Low Flow?

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
SwimmingGirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hi I have an above ground 18' pool with a Hayward DE filter. This is our second summer (2020).

High Pressure, Low Flow?

Postby SwimmingGirl » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 12:12

:D :D
Hi All! We have an 18' above ground pool. We have a hayward DE filter and our water is clear, and tests well. We use EZ Pool instead of traditional chlorine.

Here is our problem: Since the pool was installed last summer, we have a hard time with the water flow out of the filter. The pressure starts at 16 and goes up to 20 or 21 and the flow slows down to barely moving the top levels. We go out and pump the filter, and its good for a few hours, then it slows and we repump and it fixes it temporarily. We have back washed it - and the first time it was pure green with pollen from the pines, but after that initial time, we backwashed it and the water was clear. We didn't add more DE because our pool place said maybe there is too much DE, but we followed directions when we opened the pool this summer. There is no blockage because when we vacuum we have a huge suck - enough to collapse the hose. Please help! thank you in advance.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: High Pressure, Low Flow?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 16:20

Filter is blocked
Let's have your numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
act10x
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: about 11000 l, sand filter and 1/3 hp pump

Postby act10x » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 18:49

Hi There! did you get an answer for this? I have the same issue, when filtering, I have normal pressure on gauge, but the water low is super low, in backwash or rinse, the flow is great as always
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 07 Apr, 2021 11:07

In backwash or rinse you are not filtering so you wont get the same flow. Backwashing needs to be a higher flow to clean the media. Rinse does flow the same path but out to waste and are you using DE?
DE filters fine particles compared to sand so it also clogs quicker until you filter out all the dirt etc and this includes particles you cannot see without a microscope. This is the price you pay for excellent filtration, lower flow as dirt builds up. The filter is doing its job.
Most domestic setups and filters do not backwash properly this means the filter silts up over the seasons and changing media is often the quickest way to restore the filtration, cleaning thoroughly is another.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”