swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
widget77
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21' Venture line

Concerns on a 21 foot round setup. Is tamping ok, and Q on level

Postby widget77 » Sun 28 Jun, 2020 15:12

Heres the long story. We dug up and tore out all the sod. That was a solid maybe 2-3 inches down. We then filled that all back in and packed the top down(we should have tamped it as we went but it was a bit chaotic and pretty messy). We did rent a 195 lbs Wacker Packer that we used for at least two hours going around a 21' circle.

Day two, we used "screen dirt" for fill, along with compost and some regular dirt dirt. We filled that in on top of what we did previously did the 2x4 spin in a circle leveling thing and tamped it for at least 3 hours wetting a few times.

So, our main concern is settling. I have gone out again and soaked it down a couple times. We have the ring down and the ring on a string bubble level stretched across shows that it is mostly level. We have a bit of fidget work to do for true level on that string bubble level but its within tolerance.

We tamped until tamping didn't seem to do much, then we did some more. I have since soaked it with the garden hose a few times(hoping for rain today or tomorrow).

TL:DR

We are wondering if adding dirt and tamping with a 195lbs tamper for a few hours is acceptable or how bad will the settling be?

If the pool wall come out of the slot/groove, what would happen? It would weaken, but would it break?

Side question, does the weight of the water in the liner push the pool down so that a ring sinking because of ground settling become an issue or is this a non-issue?

Other side question - The ring creates a bit of a barrier that stops the sand from washing away, unless a "hole" is created from settling with sand can start to be washed away from the base by rain and splash water. Am I right in thinking this way? Or would the downward force of the weight on the ring keep it trapped up to a point?

Thank you for any help or tips given.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”