Replacment pool block or ICF.

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Dazaler
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 3.5m X 6.5m x1.4m. Outdoor. UK. Not sure if build ICF and liner it block and liner. To be decided

Replacment pool block or ICF.

Postby Dazaler » Sun 28 Mar, 2021 06:51

I'm replacing an old block and liner pool that was beyond repair and so am considering between block and liner or ICF. It's 6m X 3mx1.4m with an additional Well at one end for a fast lane to be fitted in the future. It's going to be outdoor at first and then covered either by a sliding cover or a full size building of some sorts depending on planning permission. Any thoughts for DIY. Block or ICF.
Also for that size can I get away without a drain and just fit a few low suction? Old one had a drain but I see some feel drains cause weekends in the slab.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Replacment pool block or ICF.

Postby Teapot » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 03:40

The obvious point is the insulation, that extends the swimming season and simply is more comfortable.
The lightweight ICF forms make it faster and less chance of injury but you'll need more bracing for the walls. Heavy dense concrete blocks are heavy to move around and unless you are very lucky you'll need to move them several times before their final position.
Depending of which ICF you choose some are better than others as the webs that make up pool blocks can allow tree roots insects etc to go through the polystyrene. Something like Nudura for example uses rigid spacers so no chance of root growth and less chance of air pockets under the spacers.
I would use a self adhesive membrane on the outside of the blocks as they would on any ICF basement also a water bar between the base and the walls.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”