Pump issues

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Soulpatch
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Rectangular, 23,000 gallon with 1/5" inlet lines. Hayward single cartridge CX900RE filter can. Previous owned home (we bought it and the problems...)

Pump issues

Postby Soulpatch » Tue 18 May, 2021 17:37

Bought a house (and it's numerous issues) and had to replace the pool pump. After contacting previous owner, measuring, etc. I purchased a Hayward W3SP2607X10 Super Pump 1hp. But now I'm thinking that it's too much for the inlets (1 1/2") and it's creating more pressure than needs to be? I'm running at 15psi with a cartridge in. The pump is brand new, unfortunately after doing the research (and finding MANY conflicting articles). So it's unfortunately too late to return it, since it's past that point. I have no idea what is supposed to be "normal" operating pressure and everything I read conflicts with the article I've read previously. Is this too much pump and I just wasted money? Literally just hooked it up yesterday. I'm not seeing any cavitation, bearing/vibration issues. As far as I can tell it's about 15'-25' of head pressure (original owner wasn't much help on that one either). The original pump had burned out but was so old I couldn't even pull any numbers from it and again, original owner wasn't any help with the HP possibility.
Pool is about 23,000 gallons, 1 1/2" lines and has the typical two inlets feeding it. I did notice a "burning wire" smell, but there was no smoke or other issues so thought maybe it was a break-in smell since I've run into that issue on other electric motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated, first pool and at the rate things are going may be the last.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump issues

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 19 May, 2021 04:34

For a 23k pool I wouldn't think that 1hp was oversized
Is it possible to bypass the filter and just recirculate and check the pressure, this will indicate if the filter is causing the higher pressure or if that is the normal running pressure
Can you backwash or clean your filter as that could be your problem
I've a 3/4hp pump for a 10k pool with a max 10psi on 1.5 pipe

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”