swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Firehunter588
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Currently in construction stage, 16' x 30'

Building pool, in need of advise

Postby Firehunter588 » Wed 19 May, 2021 14:24

First time posting, so here's a little background.

Signed contract in September of 2020, dig started in mid December 2020, hole and most of rebar installed at that time. Since then my contractor has essentially abandoned the job, week to week not showing up even though they say they will, excuses on top of excuses. Failed 2 inspections since then due to spa drain not holding pressure, vegetation in the bottom of the hole, and the build up of rust on the rebar. I've been advised to fire them, and possibly go owner/builder, since they dont seem to care about fixing any of this.

The city inspector stated the rebar will either have to be replaced, or cleaned, in order to pass inspection for gunite. Does anyone here have any recommendations on a chemical to use to clean the rust from the rebar? It is really only surface rust, and has not pitted or compromised the integrity of the steel.

Thanks in advance!

sktn77a
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 15000 gal inground gunite/plaster (converted from concrete/acrylic). 1hp StaRite DuraGlass P2R pump, 24" Hayward Sand Filter, Teledyne-Laars 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator, Polaris 380 cleaner with Hayward 6060 booster pump.

Re: Building pool, in need of advise

Postby sktn77a » Thu 20 May, 2021 13:08

Naval jelly is good for treating surface rust. If it's available in spray for, even better.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”