Need help identifying a leak because my pool guy died of Covid

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
beej
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground liner pool ~24000 gal with new liner, ~20 years old.

Need help identifying a leak because my pool guy died of Covid

Postby beej » Thu 20 May, 2021 06:25

He really did do an exceptional job installing the vinyl liner in my (680 sf surface area, 6 ft deep below ground) pool, but he didn't fix any of the leaks. Before the liner install it was losing a couple inches a day, stabilizing down at the elevation of the pool light, so that was the obvious culprit.

He squirted a bunch of expanding foam into the conduit, but that didn't work. Then he died of Covid (no joke, it was wild) so I'm handling the thing myself from here on out. I'm a new pool owner. I went in with some two part pool repair epoxy putty and sealed that up, and the leak got better but still isn't gone.

Details:

I'm losing 0.75 inches per day out of the pool. (measured on a time series, warm but not hot overcast days, multiple days of data confirms a basically steady loss at this rate)

This converts to around 310 gallons per day

I bought a dye testing kit for leaks, tested the following:

pool light (no more leak here)

skimmer boxes

seal around steps

nozzles

The two bottom intakes were very difficult to dye test because I had to try and hold my breath and not float upwards while doing the dye test. Suggestions welcome on how to do that.

I've let it sit without running the pump and the leak still happens, so it's not directly pump related.

If this leak were through a 1 inch diameter pipe I'd expect about a 0.1 ft/sec velocity in the pipe, which I would think I could notice with the dye tracer, but I don't see anything like that anywhere I test.

I did notice that it looked like the seal at the steps was really gummed up, possibly with old caulk, but I didn't notice any obvious dye leaving the pool along that seam.

Ideas what to try next? Is there a better way to test than what I'm doing?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”