Nothing but problems!

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Reenalee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 ft above ground round pool, cartridge filter

Nothing but problems!

Postby Reenalee » Thu 20 May, 2021 19:39

So I live in upstate NY and although it has been spring for a while, our weather has just began to allow is outside. When I open my pool it is normally about 6 to 8 inches below level, so I use rain and a garden hose to bring up the water. This normally takes about 3 to 7 days. This year, after 3 days of running my hose I came to notice that my water level was right where it started. Mind you, the water is green and yucky. I began to investigate and found a small puddle under my deck. I have determined, for sure, I have a leak. I am having the worst time finding the leak since the water is so green. No professional around here will help until I can clear the water. I have an idea of running my filter using my vacuum hose as the suction. Has anyone ever done this and even if you haven't, do you think it could work?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Nothing but problems!

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 21 May, 2021 01:42

If you can run your pump through the filter then you will have to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important)
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Reenalee
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21 ft above ground round pool, cartridge filter

Postby Reenalee » Fri 21 May, 2021 09:04

Thank you for your response. I am not worried about how to get it clear, I have no problems clearing the water. I'm needing to circulate the water so I can fix the leak. Wondering if anyone has ever used their pump while water was below level by using the vacuum hose to take in the water.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 21 May, 2021 11:48

It will work if it primes but you will need to weigh down the end of the vacuun hose so that it doesn't float up
You may have to fill the hose with water first and seal the ends untill you are ready to run the pump

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”