Lots of Additions - EVERY DAY!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kiteboy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12ft x 30inch

Lots of Additions - EVERY DAY!

Postby kiteboy » Wed 21 Jul, 2021 13:46

Hi all

I have a 12ft by 30inch pool. Im using the guess strips to measure the levels, for the one or two months the pool is up that is all I can really justify for our usage - although I do have tropical fish liquid tester which I have used in the past for accurate readings
Anyway - pool is fine but I seem to be adding a lot of chlorine and PH increaser

I have to adjust these levels almost every single day which as Im using Calcium Hypochlorite (unstablised) I gather the suns burns that off easily and its pretty hot in the UK at the moment which is unusual!

Anyway - I have a large tub of CalHypo so I may as well use that for now - I am aware it increased hardness but we are in Wales and the water is known to be soft water but Im also keeping an eye on

Im also using the pucks of chlorine too - which I have from previous years which are stabilised

Anyway - any advice would be great - I have literally no CA in there and that maybe the issue - I dont know

Ive used a 1kg tub of PH increaser in no time at all so fairly expensive at this rate

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Lots of Additions - EVERY DAY!

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 22 Jul, 2021 01:55

I take it is a liner pool, then you don't need to worry about calcium
Get some CYA in there to stabilise the sun, that is why yhe chlorine is burning off

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Postby Phil.c » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 04:02

I am also in Wales where the water is very soft, I've had my indoor pool for twenty years and have maintained the water hardness to the right amount which initially actually takes many buckets of calcium to get it right, I was told many years ago that water hardness had to be correct, are you saying that with a liner pool this is not important?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 23 Jul, 2021 05:29

The reason to add calcium is to protect the plaster of concrete pools. Liner and fibreglass are unaffected

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”