Hayward PowerFlo can't filter algae not matter what!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
smaug
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' above ground. Hayward power flo pump

Hayward PowerFlo can't filter algae not matter what!

Postby smaug » Mon 02 Aug, 2021 18:43

Hello. I'm new to pools, and the place I'm renting has one but somehow I'm stuck taking care of it if I want to use it. So I've figured out the nuances with the chemistry...currently down the middle of the strips right now. My issue is that this Hayward Power Flo XL simply refuses to catch algae. I've replaced the filter, power-washed the inside of the filter housing, used 2x the amount of clarifier needed...but no matter what I do, the inlet just sprays a steady stream of algae back into the water.

Is there something about these older Hayward systems?
https://share.icloud.com/photos/00V-FmA ... 9tmeYqDzBg

See video...says it all. If I sweep the algae on the bottom right now, there will be a torrent of it coming back in...this is after a few days and lots of clarifier.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Hayward PowerFlo can't filter algae not matter what!

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 Aug, 2021 01:51

Why are you using clarifier, it should be pumped to waste as it clogs filters. You need chlorine to kill the algae
Is it a cartridge filter, then it may not have been re-assembled properly
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”