Film on top of water after opening Auto Cover every night

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Justin1Ntime
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35 foot Barrier Reef Whitsunday fiberglass pool with UV and Tri-clor dispenser.

Film on top of water after opening Auto Cover every night

Postby Justin1Ntime » Fri 10 Sep, 2021 09:20

Hi, I am at a loss. The swimming pool store has not been much help so I thought I would try here in a last ditch effort to get help. I have a 17000 gallon fiberglass pool with a UV system and an autocover. When I cover the pool for the night and pull the autocover back there is this translucent film on the water. Its not everywhere but there is enough of it to ask myself WTF is that floating on the water. The more I open and close the cover the more film I see on the surface. I have made sure it wasnt sunscreen or any oils like that. If I leave the cover open the film does not appear. If I leave cover open for a few weeks then close it for the one night it still leaves a very very very small amount of film on the water almost unnoticeable. I really had to look. Then if I start using the cover regularly again the film comes back. I am at the point where I dont want to use the autocover any more. My water is balanced and crystal clear. I have a picture of the film but I cant see a place to post the picture. I tried dumping oxidizer in per the pool store. I have lowered my Phos. One night out of frustration and anger, I dumped 3 pounds of shock in and closed the cover right away and the film was gone for a full week but I cant keep closing the cover when I shock the pool. I guess that is a No No. One day I closed the cover as much as I can and jumped in the pool got underneath it and brushed it. Honestly when I look under the cover it looks fine. I dont see mold or anything. I dont know what else to do. Has anybody else had this issue with their pool cover and water?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Film on top of water after opening Auto Cover every night

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 01:49

What do the manufacturers of the pool cover say, as it seems related to it

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
Golfer1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28,000 gallon unground with liner and autocover

Postby Golfer1 » Wed 17 May, 2023 13:42

I have the exact same issue and no one can figure it out! Do you have an answer yet?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 18 May, 2023 12:12

Plasticiser out of the pvc off gassing?
I was at a trade fair the other week and there were lots of air monitors there. Mainly on the VOC's because there were fresh carpets etc on the stands VOC's hit the top of the scales for most vendors, all plastic products off gassing, a bit concerning
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”