last ditch effort, very green pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Wnaplay
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27' above ground
Approx 22000 gls

last ditch effort, very green pool

Postby Wnaplay » Fri 26 Jul, 2019 22:44

I lost my wife to cancer in February and she always took care of the pool. Our pool cover came off last winter and was left this way until now. We had alot of tree debris inside the pool when I began Trying to clear the water in March. I have been to my local pool company many times over the last few months and they keep selling me more and more chemicals to try and clear my extremely dark green pool water but nothing works. All the debris is out and I am running out of money as we continually try chemical after chemical. I have last tried yellowtrine but it did nothing. I have a 27' above ground pool approx. 22k gallons. I have a hayward sand filter and pump. Sand was replaced last year. Any help is appreciated, I am just trying to get this thing clear so the kids can use it this year.

MartinBZ
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: last ditch effort, very green pool

Postby MartinBZ » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 01:02

Sorry for your loss!

Why don't you empty it, clean it and refill?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 02:39

Hi Wnaplay and welcome
It seems you have done the worst bit in clearing the debris out of the pool
Even if you drain and refill. You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Post your results back here
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

You will need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart
To stop being pool stored use these common products to balance your water
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Wnaplay
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27' above ground
Approx 22000 gls

Postby Wnaplay » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 22:09

I don't understand how these tests and drops work or how people read the results. I have considered draining and starting over but always fear burning up my well pump running it continuously for that long.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 28 Jul, 2019 01:40

Wnaplay wrote:I don't understand how these tests and drops work or how people read the results. I have considered draining and starting over but always fear burning up my well pump running it continuously for that long.

The instructions with most test kits are simple to follow and probably are on the internet as well
However you could get it tested at a pool store to get your initial results

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”