Pump problem

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Re: Pump problem

Postby Phil.c » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 08:55

I guess I don't have to worry then :)

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 12:20

Just look at the pump data and that will tell you how many litres per minute plus your speed controller
I suspect that many installations have a 1hp pump because "That should be good enough" but they don't really need it
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 09 Jul, 2022 12:53

I think they have a 1hp pump through some sort of ego and knowing despite the awful plumbing layout and shed loads of knuckle bends some water will arrive at the destination. Hahaha. You dont need that much suction for vacuuming and most of the power is only needed at backwashing time to expand the filter bed by 20-30% to release the trapped dirt. Then requiring that backwash why is the plumbing so small and the multiport restricts flow so much its unlikely it ever achieves a good backwash. On filtration cycle I really do use only 0.0872hp and been doing that for 16+ years. I dont use a multipor valve though as they restrict flow far too much. 100% on backwash with the addition of air scouring to save water.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 10 Jul, 2022 05:32

I had a message from the pump supplier that there would be additional charges, I assume VAT and import tax as there was nothing on his site to say that he was sending from abroad, so I cancelled the order and I'm looking for a UK supplier, better all round especially if there's something wrong with the pump and it has to be sent back.

Astralpool Victoria Plus 3/4 CV230 V II Plastic Self-Priming Pump
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 03:17

I'm still waiting for the new pump to arrive, it will be interesting to test filtering etc at a slow speed, also the pool heating situation, in theory, the water should conduct heat from the heat exchanger a lot better because it's flowing over it slower, however, I'm just wondering, less heated water is being moved around the pool, so slower heating.....swings and roundabouts?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 17 Jul, 2022 06:57

Not sure I agree with slower water conducting better, it will get hotter but the same amount of heat energy will be transferred.
You actually contradict yourself with less heated water flowing (because it will have gained a bit more heat moving slower) certainly an interesting test.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 20 Jul, 2022 02:22

New pump fitted and now running at 1200rpm via varispeed controller, It's timed at 12 hours a day, I read that this is sufficient for indoor pools?
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 20 Jul, 2022 11:18

I thought things were going too good!

So, here's the situation.

I have a brand new Certikin Lever Pool controller and 3/4 HP Astral Victoria pump, the first time I connected the controller to the pump it started running at priming speed for a couple of minutes, then reverted to my selected speed of 1200rpm, there was no probelem at all, but two days later, the pump still starts up at 2900 priming speed but doesn't have enough power to turn over at slower speeds. I have risen the slower speeds by 50rpm I am now up to 1800rpm and it stills doesn't turn, if I flick the fan with my finger, it runs right down to 1200rpm, there doesn't seem to be enough power to kick it off, any ideas anyone?
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 06:33

Well, here's an update, Astral tell me that they don't recommend an inverter with any of their pumps, if one is fitted then the warranty is void, they sell a vari-speed pump for this.

I've emailed Certikin in regards to why the unit doesn't work with an Astral and they've not replied.

So, I'm now in a sitiation where I can either, start the slow speed with a flick of the pump fan and leave it on continuously for 24hrs or, if I want it on for 12hrs I have to switch it on, flick the fan and switch off after 12hrs and do this every day.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 10:43

Certikin (spit) just badge products, they dont make them and dont generally have a clue. Industry mafia, need I say more. Very unlucky with the pump, Astral would be the first I have heard of not to run with a speed controller.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 13:31

Ok, I think my fault as I've just read the small print on the Certikin sales info and it says that the controller will run pumps from 1HP to 2HP, mine is 3/4HP, so, I swapped it with my sons 1HP, it wouldnt kick over at the slowest 1200 but does at 1400, which is not a big deal, the only other difference that I noticed was that his pump is wired white to neutral and black to live, my pump was the reverse, however, both pumps run in the right direction.

So, I'm letting it run to see if everything works right after a period of time!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 21 Jul, 2022 17:37

Thats good, let us know how you get on.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 02:52

I spoke too soon as with a startup this morning the priming starts the pump but the second slower stage doesn't.

As you have mentioned, Certikin don't actually make this unit as it can be bought with other makers labels stuck to it, I read on one of these that this controller works with 95% of 1hp to 2hp pumps, seems to me that my pump is in the 5% band!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 22 Jul, 2022 10:26

Bugger! I have had complete success on the ones I have fitted and mostly they were the cheaper end of the single speed market. Looks like you have been unlucky.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sat 23 Jul, 2022 02:48

I think "Bugger" is an understatement :)

But all is not lost, I can still run at slow speed with a flick of the fan, but what I need to do is to cut a slot in the fan cover so that it can be flicked without continuosly removing and refitting it after the motor starts.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”