newbie question

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
john71
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10000 gallon, 3/4 HP Pump size, 3 sp feet pump

newbie question

Postby john71 » Tue 16 Aug, 2022 02:26

Hi all!
This is my first post here and also setting up my first pool. Thanks to this forum almost all of my questions have been answered simply by reading other posts.
One question I still need to be answered is, how long do I need to run the filter during a 24-hour period? I have been running it continuously since opening the pool last month. The water is crystal clear and this is why I have been apprehensive about shutting the filter off at night.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: newbie question

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 16 Aug, 2022 11:04

If possible (affodable) 24hrs as skimmers and filters only work when they are on. Using a speed controller you can reduce the power usage considerably making 24 hour running affordable. For now if you reduce the hours until you see a change in water clarity that could act as a guide but the reduction in quality wont be noticed at all for several days/a week so go cautiously.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Av8te
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50,000 gallon plaster swimming pool. 20x60 with built in spa. Hayward system with vs950 pumps, 4 cartridge filter, 500k btu heater

Postby Av8te » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 03:07

First off, congrats on the new pool. Second, to know how long to run your pump you need to know gallons in the pool and what your output flow is. Also a set of water tests will help know if you have any underlying problems. The old thought
Process on pump run time is to try to cycle the water in the pool once every 24 hours. I don’t follow that with
My pool. I typically go with whatever it takes to keep my salt water generator running and if it’s cold my heater. My
Pool pump is on at 50 percent most of the time and I could Probably go lower. If you use a pump without variable speed it’s better to see what it takes to recycle the water completely. To get an idea of recommended cya and chlorine levels the pool company that does my maintenance has a great calculator on their site:
https://splashdr.com/swimming-pool-and-spa-chemicals/

You basically just tell the calculator your type of chlorine addition and CYA level and it gives you back a free chlorine level you should shoot for. Don’t use test strips for testing. A Taylor test kit with drop style chlorine testing is the only way to go! Good luck!!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 22 Aug, 2022 12:16

Av8te wrote:The old thought
Process on pump run time is to try to cycle the water in the pool once every 24 hours.

Don’t use test strips for testing. A Taylor test kit with drop style chlorine testing is the only way to go! Good luck!!

Turning over your pool once in 24 hours is not enough as only approximately 63% of the water is filtered and of course more dirt etc is entering. So 4 turnovers in 24 hours is good and 5 is about as good as it gets. Skimmers and filters can only collect dirt and bacteria etc if they are on, otherwise the dirt falls to the floor and has to be vacuumed out. The law of dilution was published by Gage and Bidwell in 1926 but the thick pool industry cannot get their heads around it.

https://www.aquamagazine.com/service/ar ... ectiveness

Taylor kit is good but not the only way to go. Plenty of others but I agree strips are just a waste of money.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
john71
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10000 gallon, 3/4 HP Pump size, 3 sp feet pump

Postby john71 » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 05:04

Thanks a lot everyone for kind replies.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:17

No problem hope you get what you want.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”