Thick algae in still water

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Marigold
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt water fiberglass lap pool and spa in ground. 1.5 hp pump

Thick algae in still water

Postby Marigold » Wed 12 Apr, 2023 17:20

My pump stopped working and until I could afford a new one I opted to manually vacuum and use a light duty robot cleaner. Problem was all the algae would fall to bottom but would disperse thru pool again when trying to clean it out. Is there any chemical or treatment that would get rid of the yuck that doesn't need a pump to be circulating?
(I cannot empty the pool all the way cause something to do with the sand & leveling??)
Help is appreciated more than you know! Thank you

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Thick algae in still water

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 13 Apr, 2023 12:33

So no pool pump currently? If you can see the green algae then chlorine is what you need and a fair amount of it. We would need some water test results to offer help in next steps as the water chemistry must be out of wack as the water can still stay clear without a pump for a while at least.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Marigold
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt water fiberglass lap pool and spa in ground. 1.5 hp pump

Postby Marigold » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 02:59

Oh it's been awhile. It's a swamp now. I kind of gave up when all my efforts seemed to be in vain. I have purchased a new pump , however in my haste to get one now that I had the money I didn't realize I got one with the electrical plug and there's no dedicated outlet for it. So, the manufacturer sent the instructions how to wire it but my wires and their wires differ and so I need to hire an electrician. I just wanted to try to clean it up a bit to avoid the mosquito invasion.
I've done the chlorine the shock etc it just comes down to the water being still and not dissolving the algae since there's no pump to carry it out .
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 14:05

If you still have algae then you are not done with shocking. Its often mis-understood that shock is not a product but a process. Shocking is done when the algae is all dead, the water turned blue grey with dead algae and has begun to clear. Chlorine kills algae and also oxidises away. You can use a paddle of some kind to move the water whilst waiting for the pump to be connected. All that said if its quite far gone into a swamp and water is not too expensive it may be quicker and easier to change most of the water.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”