Leslie's Alum Flocc

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
CaliDude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x48 Above Ground
13" Sand Pump

Leslie's Alum Flocc

Postby CaliDude » Sat 29 Apr, 2023 10:55

Hey all!
Opened my pool a few weeks ago and it was dirty of course. I live in California
Tested water and had high Alkalinity and low free chlorine. Got all that adjusted with proper chemicals and still had a murky haze couldn't see the bottom.
I tried liquid flocculents and clarifiers and followed dosing directions. It didn't seem to do the trick. I heard about trying Aluminum Sulfate and gave it a shot. That did the trick. It almost worked immediately.
Thing is is I can see bottom now and the coagulated mess that I can vacuum out, but there's this milky brownish stuff on top that won't settle. This is my third day with pump not running. Should I give it more time? Or hit the pump and let it skim off the top? I have a sand pump with skimmer.
Thanks for any advice

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Leslie's Alum Flocc

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 29 Apr, 2023 13:42

I would vacuum out what you can, put a cotton towel in the skimmer basket and let that catch the mess from the top.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
CaliDude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x48 Above Ground
13" Sand Pump

Postby CaliDude » Sun 30 Apr, 2023 11:59

Teapot1 wrote:I would vacuum out what you can, put a cotton towel in the skimmer basket and let that catch the mess from the top.

Thanks for the advice! I got home from work yesterday and did just that. I shocked it one more time and let the pump/skimmer do it's thing over nite...worked like a charm! Crystal clear up top!! All I have to do is vacuum the bottom now.....
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 01 May, 2023 04:29

Glad to have assisted, vacuum slowly so you dont stir up the bottom and if you vacuum through your skimmer rather than a dedicated vacuum port, the the cotton towel back in to catch the fine stuff.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”