Carbination-like tiny bubbles

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
lbeck
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby lbeck » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 11:40

I have tiny bubbles throughout my water. It is not the same as what happens with algecide - and I have not used algecide since May. They are small - like in Sprite - and all the way throughout the water. They are NOT on the top of the water. They stick to the sides of the pool and to your skin.

The water looks fine until you rput th ePOlaris on adn stir up the bubbles - they join adn get bigger. The chemicals have been tested and re-tested and it has been perfect for two months. I have only used chemicals from Leslie's Pools.

Nobody seems to have heard of this.

L. Beck
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Carbination-like tiny bubbles

Postby Backglass » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 13:21

lbeck wrote:I have tiny bubbles throughout my water. It is not the same as what happens with algecide - and I have not used algecide since May. They are small - like in Sprite - and all the way throughout the water. They are NOT on the top of the water. They stick to the sides of the pool and to your skin.

The water looks fine until you rput th ePOlaris on adn stir up the bubbles - they join adn get bigger. The chemicals have been tested and re-tested and it has been perfect for two months. I have only used chemicals from Leslie's Pools.

Nobody seems to have heard of this.

I know a guy that can explain it.

<BLOWS ON CHEMGEEK HORN>

He should be along shortly. :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 14:17

Unless this is a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pool, I don't have an explanation for it (other than air getting into the pump or piping somewhere). If it's an SWG pool, then the bubbles may be the normal hydrogen gas bubbles from the SWG and these can be seen easily at night with a pool light (with the pump and SWG running, of course) where the bubbles come streaming in through the returns.
lbeck
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby lbeck » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 17:45

This is exactly what it looks like - but I don't have a SWG pool. Just regular chlorine. I first noticed it with the light on. now it is more extreme. You can see it on the jet and on any dark surface in the pool - including my leg!

chem geek wrote:Unless this is a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pool, I don't have an explanation for it (other than air getting into the pump or piping somewhere). If it's an SWG pool, then the bubbles may be the normal hydrogen gas bubbles from the SWG and these can be seen easily at night with a pool light (with the pump and SWG running, of course) where the bubbles come streaming in through the returns.
L. Beck
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Wed 22 Aug, 2007 17:48

are the bubbles always there?
do they go away when pool is off?
do you see where bubbles come from?
bubbles can come from return lines
when you mention polaris cleaner, this plugs into wall and runs off return line? unplug and keep out of pool for a day or two and see if bubbles leave.
mark SSC

Postby mark SSC » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 07:19

We have the same problem in a 250M gallon commercial pool. It is by far a crazy issue. The bubbles stick to the walls the minute you stir up the water it turns cloudy with tons of little bubbles. Our water has been tested by the county and the state no problems. No one seems to know . Open to any suggestions. Thanks Mark 610-496-5753
shooter301

Postby shooter301 » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 13:04

I have just had a SW pool put in. I have tiny bubbles also thousands of them. Only when the chlorinator is on. When i turn it off bubbles are gone. It is the gas i belive, pool companys says i am crazy pretty much. But i unplug the chlorinator and bubbles are gone. I plug it in and bam there back.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 23:56

You are not crazy. Saltwater chlorine generators most definitely generate hydrogen gas bubbles. They also generate chlorine gas bubbles, but those mostly dissolve in the water giving you hypochlorous acid (or hypochlorite ion). See the "Salt (SWG) Pool" section in this post for more technical details.
vandech

Postby vandech » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 16:54

I am in Surrey, UK and have exactly the same problem with tiny air bubbles. The pool is chlorinated and I have had the water tested by my local pool company and they have confirmed the quality and chemical levels are correct. The issue is most obvious when swimming at night with the pool light on - to start with the pool is crystal clear but as soon as you get in and move around lots of little bubbles appear and stick to your body/ swim suit. After a short while the pool looks foggy and you can see thousands of tiny bubbles. Get out of the water and 2 minutes later out is crystal clear again. I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem. Any advice?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 21:38

If it only occurs when your saltwater chlorine generator is on, then there isn't anything you can do about it since it generates hydrogen gas bubbles. However, what you describe sounds worse than that so if it occurs even when the chlorine generator is off but the pump is on, the I suspect a leak on the suction side, possibly a loose pump basket lid or a loose pump basket drain plug (near the bottom) or a crack in the suction piping. Check that the pump basket lid and pump basket drain plug are both sealed properly.

Postby Guest » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 16:43

The pool is not a saltwater pool. It is a standard pool treated with chlorine periodically. Problem has persisted in recent weeks.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”