TDS Too High...HELP!!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
acj
I'm new here
I'm new here

TDS Too High...HELP!!

Postby acj » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 14:20

We just had our water tested and the total dissolved solids were 1700. For some reason this is the first time they tested the TDH so we have no history of this. Our pool is new (April 07), 11,000 gallons, gunite, and we are new to the caring of pools. We had a pool service take care of the pool initially and have been taking care of it ourselves since June.

We have the water tested once a week at a local pool store and receive a print out of the readings and what we need to add. The guy at the pool place said that this number will only increase and the pool will need to be drained completely or we will end up with problems. The pool guy looked at all the previous readings and can see nothing that we could have done to have caused this high TDS and he suspects that the pool service that initially took care of it caused the problem. The only things we have had to add besides chlorine (we use tablets) is muradic acid, and once calcium because the hardness was too low. We also took in the water we fill the pool with and they tested it, all was fine with it.

So for those of you experienced with pools....HELP!! What could have caused this high TDS reading and is draining the pool the right thing to do?

Also, if I drain the pool, I have heard you have to do this in increments, that it cant all be drained at once then refilled? What is the proper procedure drain/fill procedure?

All other water chemistry is fine and the pool water is crystal clear.

Thanks for the help in advance!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 15:27

See my response to your same question in this thread on another forum.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”