soap in pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
rantnnravin

soap in pool

Postby rantnnravin » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 16:50

We've been fighting with our pool service company they are horrible and have been sabotaging our pool to force us to close early. To make a long story short, my husband took care of the pool this week and when they called, he told them to not bother coming over because he had taken care of it. Service guy said he would drop off chemicals. When he arrived, Dh was in back of yard and when he turned the corner, saw the guy pouring something into the pool - all of a sudden it started making bubbles in the pool. Pool guy said it was "an algaecide" - but our pool was crystal clear before he got there and now its got a thin film of bubbles floating on the surface and even after two days and rain, they aren't going anywhere. We think he poured soap into our pool. How do we get it out? I told my husband we should skim it off the top and wash the filter. What else can we do?
TIA.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Algaecide foam

Postby chem geek » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 21:57

It may very well have been what is known as a "linear quat" algaecide as these will often foam -- it's less expensive than the non-foaming PolyQuat algaecide which is what should normally be used (if any algaecide is used at all). It will eventually break down from chlorine and dissipate.
sudsallover

Foam In Pool

Postby sudsallover » Mon 13 Oct, 2008 13:40

I have the same problem but I don't have bubbles. I have suds-about and inch thick all over the pool. I'm glad the chem geek says they will eventually break down but what is the time frame?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Algaecide foam

Postby chem geek » Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:50

Days, but that was talking about getting rid of a linear quat algaecide, not soap itself (normal soap is different than an alagaecide). You can skim off the film using any of a number of products including scum balls. That will reduce the suds faster.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

soap in pool

Postby Larry » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 06:13

As the algaecide gets used up the amount of foaming gets less.

Often an algaecide may be used in large quantities to assist in winterizing a pool. The bubbles or suds are harmless and will disappear by spring opening. The algaecide is usually harmless when blown across the yard and garden as foam.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”