earthworms in pool each night

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Fun in the Sun
I'm new here
I'm new here

earthworms in pool each night

Postby Fun in the Sun » Sun 11 May, 2014 18:24

Whenever there's a heavy rain, earthworms tend to crawl up and reach for a safe place to stay. They are also nocturnal so you really won't see how could they get into your pool. I've no experience with having earthworms on our pool since we don't have a really nice landscape. If covering doesn't work how about getting some soil around the swimming pool covered up? Like covering it with cement or a rough concrete.

paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: earthworms in pool each night

Postby paulbest » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 00:43

Earthworms naturally will seek moist areas, whether in dirt, sand, etc. That being said, it seems that they would try to go deeper into the earth when heavy rain, thunder and lightening approaches. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. Worms crawl out during rain, then when the rains stop, the worms dry out and head for the nearest source of water, your pool. And yes, they can crawl across, or are carried across the pool deck by the rain water.

1) Keep any soil or plants at least 20 feet away from the swimming pool. Worms normally live in dirt, and hard rain can draw them out of the ground. As they try to get out of the rain, they could end up in the pool accidentally if the dirt and plants are too close to the pool water.

2) Watch the chlorine levels year around!! This also helps to kill micro parasitic worms that, unlike earthworms, can cause sickness.

3) Use a pool cover whenever the pool is not in use to prevent worms and other organisms from infiltrating the pool water when no one is paying attention.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”