Water WAS clear...

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
fourrifles
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18' x 4' round Easy Set pool w/KrystalKlear filter

Water WAS clear...

Postby fourrifles » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 13:07

I have an Intex 18' x 4' easy set pool, about 7000 gallons. Just filled it up, added a bag of ShockIt this morning and within 10 minutes the water was a clear (not cloudy) yellowish brown. Water currently tests as follows, using an HtH 5 way test kit:

Chlorine : over 5 ppm (thats as high as the kit reads}
Bromine : over 5 ppm
PH : 7.5
Alkalinity : 180 ppm calcium carbonate
Hardness : 160 ppm calcium carbonate
CYA : 0

The pool was filled with well water and we have a high iron content in this area. Could this be the problem, and what can I do to clear it up? The filter is already turning reddish brown...

Any help would be appreciated.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Water WAS clear...

Postby chem geek » Sat 04 Jul, 2009 13:42

You should first have a filter to use when filling your pool. That will remove a lot of the particles before they even get into your pool. You could even use a water softener type of filter to remove some of the metal. Then, when you add water into the pool you can add a metal sequestrant to hold any remaining metal ions in solution (and this will need to be added regularly since chlorine will slowly break down the sequestrant).

Though you could try a sequestrant at this point, along with filter cleaning, I think you might be better off starting over and filtering as you fill. The Slime Bag will remove more particulate matter (iron particles) while something like MetalTrap will remove metal iron ions from the water upon fill, but these products aren't cheap.
fourrifles
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18' x 4' round Easy Set pool w/KrystalKlear filter

Water WAS clear...

Postby fourrifles » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 14:49

Thanks for the advice; for right now the water seems to be clearing gradually as I filter out the rust. I'll keep the prefiltering in mind next time I have to fill it.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”