What is this: white flakes

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
bushpilot
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k Gal - Saltwater - Pentair/Sta-Rite - PCC2000 cleaner

Postby bushpilot » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 10:47

I periodically see these white "flakes"...its easily crushed/ground between my fingers...its almost
like a thin shell <almost transparent>.

I have found NO pattern or SOURCE as to its presence.
Attachments
IMG00267.jpg
IMG00267.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 9901 times

elf

Postby elf » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 13:38

get your PH under control is from your heater.
bushpilot
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k Gal - Saltwater - Pentair/Sta-Rite - PCC2000 cleaner

Postby bushpilot » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 16:10

my Ph is pretty much under control...it does ocassionaly reach 8 but for the most part I keep it well w/ in the 7.2 / 7.4 range....adding approximately 1 to 2 quarts of liquid acid per week.

my chemicals levels are in good order.

you didnt really answer my question...WHAT is it.
elf

Postby elf » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 21:25

it's buildup from inside the heater from you not having your PH under control. Theres no way you having a salt water pool can you only add 1-2 qts acid and have your PH under control. A PH of 8 and adding 2 qts will not get the PH to 7.2-7.4
are you getting a true PH reading or a bleached PH reading? When chlorine is on the high side you need to add a nuetralizer before checking PH to remove chlorine.

The only other thing would be a very dirty salt cell and you need to clean it as salt has builtup inside cell.

Postby Guest » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 15:38

In my neck of the woods, (AZ Desert) I have really hard water issues. Anytime I try and get more than 2-3yrs out of my water I get white flakes back into the pool. Yes its being produced by my salt cell, but its due to my water being to high in minerals, I Now use Bueatec to help get a little longer use out of my water before this occurs.. SameThing? just my two cents...
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 19:05

Pool User wrote: Yes its being produced by my salt cell, but its due to my water being to high in minerals, I Now use Bueatec to help get a little longer use out of my water before this occurs.. SameThing? just my two cents...

+ 1. Its Calcium build up from the Cl gen cell.Test your water for Calcium hardness to be sure. When i see this in heaters from high Ph, its usually layers of calcium that are some times different colors. White, Black,and Teal or Green. and its harder, not so easy to smash with your fingers.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”