Salinity too high

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
ladymerlot
I'm new here
I'm new here

Salinity too high

Postby ladymerlot » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 21:18

Our salinity is supposed to be between 3.0 and 3.5 Our salinity goes as high as 5.5. So, every other month, we empty 75% of our water, then refill it. Perfect for another month or so. We have never had to add any salt. We switched to salt chlorinator a year ago. We can keep water balanced, but this salinity problem is killing our water bill. Someone mentioned to me to add alot of chlorine to our pool, that should bring down the salinity. That confuses me, but what the heck if it works. We have an inground fiberglass pool. Can someone plz tell me what to do to stop this madness?

elf

Salinity too high

Postby elf » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 23:24

Your salinity level is your salt level in a pool and normally should be 27000 to 32000 ppm for your salt cell to produce chlorine. You say you empty your pool water and never add any salt to your pool after doing this, so how is your salt cell making any chlorine? you have a manual that comes with your salt system, reading this will help you figure out what all the readings mean at the controll box. If you do not have one, you can find them and print them out off the internet.
LarryThePoolGuy

Salinity too high

Postby LarryThePoolGuy » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 01:43

The salinity meter that comes with your salt chlorinator does not read salt; it reads total dissolved solids based on conductivity. Most likely, you have high levels of solids like calcium and magnesium that are causing your salinity meter to read high. This is the test kit you need for salinity. It tests for "Salinity" by testing actual sodium chloride: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2376

If you can post a FULL set of test results for your pool AND your tap water, someone should be better able to advise you. Also, please list ALL chemicals you have added to your pool, including amounts.

Adding chlorine to your pool will NOT lower your salt level; it will raise it.

Readings needed for pool water AND fill water.

Free chlorine
Combined chlorine
pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium hardness
Total Hardness
Cyanuric Acid
Salt (Salt test, not TDS)
LarryThePoolGuy

Salinity too high

Postby LarryThePoolGuy » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 01:49

Posted wrong link to salt test. This is the correct link.
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2176

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”