White clouding with the addition of granular dichlor

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
swansons pool and spa service

Postby swansons pool and spa service » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 21:52

Every time I add Dichlor to my clients pool the water begins to cloud white in area chlorine was added for about 5 minutes then clears. It also has trouble holding chlorine. Each week, summertime, San Diego, I add 1 to 2 lbs of di-chlor and 2-4 tri-chlor tabs. When I return the following week the chlorine level is scarcely above 1 ppm. The pool is not much more than 10,000 gallons. The conditioner is a little high as well as TDS, everything else is in range; ph, alkalinity, hardness, no phosphates, ect. The water stays crystal clear aside from the clouding with the addition of chlorine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:02

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by 7 ppm.

So your CYA level isn't just a little high. CYA moderates chlorine's strength so as the CYA is high, if your FC is below 5% of the CYA level then algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it. Read the Pool School for more info.

Postby Guest » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 17:01

Would the high CYA cause the White Clouding in the area the chlorine is added.
I am not having any issues with algee growth in the pool. My main issue is whu the water is clouding when the Dichlor is added.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”