Cannot get my pool water to stay balanced

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
rodss67
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool is inground concrete pool built in 1992. It is a 15X30 rectangular 18000 gal. It has a hayward cartridge filter with a hayward pump. Has oringinal finish but will need a resurface in the 1 to 2 years.

Postby rodss67 » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 17:31

About 6 weeks ago my pool turned real green. Since then I have spent about $500 on chemicas and still am having problems. Water never cleared but did turn blue for about 4 days. Now it is just a pale green to pale blue. Through the process the pool has been unable to hold any kind chlorine level at all . Presently I have 2 tabs in the chlorinator, 1 in a floater and last night I dumped 2 gal of liquid. last night. Today very little showing. Today I purchased a new Taylor test kit so I can learn the process myself. I have a hunch that something is being left out in the way of chemicals (stabilizer) but my knowledge is not enough to be sure. I do not want to take my readings in to the pool place and ask what I need. I would like to know what I need on this first round then give it a go myself. My readings are as follows:

Free chlor. .2ppn
Comb Chlor. .8
PH 7.2
Alc. 80ppm
Calc Hard. 320ppm
CYA 0 (filled vial to top to get dot to dissapear)
If more info is needed please let me know.

duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 19:13

Yes, your biggest issue is lack of CYA. That's better than too much, however, as it is problematic to lower it but easy to raise it.

First of all, your decision to get a good kit was the smartest thing you could do. You will soon take complete control of your pool and not go through this again.

because your pool lacks CYA (stabilizer), the Chlorine is VERY quickly burned of by UV from the sun and leaves your pool exposed with no protection from bacteria, algae, etc. The pucks will not provide enough.

Assuming your going to swim for another month or so, you'll need to get some CYA in your pool (shoot for about 40ppm) and then we'll help you shock it to get it crystal clear.

There is a good article on How to Shock Your Pool at troublefreepool.com that will explain the process thoroughly....look in Pool School over there.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net
rodss67
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool is inground concrete pool built in 1992. It is a 15X30 rectangular 18000 gal. It has a hayward cartridge filter with a hayward pump. Has oringinal finish but will need a resurface in the 1 to 2 years.

Postby rodss67 » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 21:39

Thanks for the reply. Do I add liquid chlorine along with the stabilizer or just continue use the tablets only . What is a safe method to add stabilizer so not to over do it. I bought the Taylor K2006 test kit. Was that a good one to purchase?
lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

Postby lbridges » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 22:20

The Taylor K-2006 was a good one to purchase.

You can use tablets until you reach the preferred CYA level, or you can stop the tablets and use stabilizer - probably depends on what you have already purchased.

Postby Guest » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 16:37

I added stabilizer last Saturday. Even adding less than what I should I am a little high on the CYA however with the rains we are getting in Central Florida I hope it will drop some. Pool is now turning blue but is cloudy from suspended particle. I clean filter every day and am getting quite a bit of settiment out. I have been running pump 24/7.

Here are my readings:

FC 2,8
CC ,6
PH 7,5
TA 90
CH 340
CYA 70
duraleigh
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 24X52 DIY Concrete and liner

Postby duraleigh » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 22:07

Get your FC back up higher. You need to keep it no lower than 8-10ppm until your cc reading drops to .5ppm or less. It will also help you to clear your pool faster. Keep running the pump 24/7 and brush the pool and clean the filter just as you have been doing.

Once your pool is clear, you need to keep FC around 5-8ppm AT ALL TIMES or the algae will come back.
24x52 DIY concrete block and liner
1.5HP pump 925lb sand filter
http://www.tftestkits.net

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”