brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Cornholio
I'm new here
I'm new here

Backwash Question

Postby Cornholio » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 18:43

Howdy,

First post here, new home owner with a pool but I used to clean pools ~20 years ago while in high school and in college.

Since I am familiar with cleaning and maintaining pools I did not keep the previous homeowners pool guy and have been keeping our pool in check on my own the past month since we moved in. Chemicals, water clarity, etc. are fine but it’s time to backwash and it’s been 20 years since I’ve done this.

1. Ordered a 2” x 50’ hose with a clamp
2. Home Depot less than a mile away which stocks DE so picking some up there
3. I know the process and steps of backwashing so all good there

Question I have is making sure I have my ducks in a row with where exactly I need to attach and run my hose to (back when I cleaned pools my boss showed me each pool on my route so I saw him backwash them all firsthand).

I assume the 2” pipe that opens toward the ground is where I want to attach my hose? I don’t want to just test this out to see because we have grass and fruit trees near the equipment. There is a dirt area in my side yard that I plan on running the hose to but just wasn’t sure if maybe there is another way this thing flows the backwash out of.

Pictures of filter and area I plan to run the hose to:

065C27E3-4953-43DD-B1C4-EBF23DB23491.jpeg

6F78D363-017C-49E6-813A-E87CB8C83A4A.jpeg

DFE9D9AE-FFC0-4D1E-BB13-83AE03E85E4A.jpeg

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Backwash Question

Postby Teapot » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 23:17

You are correct
Cornholio
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Cornholio » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 17:43

Teapot wrote:You are correct

Thanks for the response. My hose arrives tomorrow and I plan to backwash Sunday so I’ll post an update! There’s what looks like a 2” PVC drainage pipe into a wide collar that goes into the ground in front of the house and I was wondering if they hooked up a backwash drain of some sort but figured it was for something else.

I’ve heard they are really strict in my area (Orange County, CA) about fines for pumping backwash water into the street gutters, I used to run hoses to the street all the time back in the 90’s when I was a pool cleaner.

Thanks again! :thumbup:
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 22:51

They maybe strict about where the water goes, they are most places, funny really as the water is clean filtered and treated much like what they supply and Chlorine breaks down quickly. They don't object to dirty rainwater
Pete Cleaner
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: <a href="www.poolcleaningcincinnati.com">Pool Cleaning Service Cincinnati, OH</a>

Postby Pete Cleaner » Wed 16 Oct, 2019 06:48

Great reminder to check local rules and regulations, they can differ from location to the next

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”