New Pool - managing high ph

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Onshow
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40,000l pebblecrete rendered pool. Salt chlorinated and sand filtration.

New Pool - managing high ph

Postby Onshow » Tue 04 Feb, 2020 03:54

Hi all. New pool owner here. Was built about 6 months ago and handed over more recently by the builder. Not given much in terms of handover other than (if it goes green, get it tested :thumbdown:

Took a sample to the pool shop and they told me to add 1.5kg of buffer and 1l of acid to sort out the ph and then was told to add 1kg buffer and 500ml of acid every 10 days for 6 months to “condition” the water. This is the part I don’t understand. I’ve been reading up and taking more of an interest and getting more confident with balancing. I did what the shop told me for a month but oh is still high. I figured I’d do it myself now so have been monitoring and adding chemicals as required based on test results.

Question is. Should I be doing what the shop told me or go by the test results and manage water that way?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: New Pool - managing high ph

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 14:46

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
You don't need pool store products to balance your pool
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
The only other product you need is Cyanuric acid (stabilisor)
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Post your results back and we will try to help
Onshow
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 40,000l pebblecrete rendered pool. Salt chlorinated and sand filtration.

Postby Onshow » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 18:43

Thanks. I do have a basic test kit that measures Fc (via DPd) TA, Acid Demand and ph.

Latest results were:

FC: 1.8
PH: 8.0
TA: 90

And was asking for 300ml of acid.

Added 500g of sodium bicarbonate yesterday to try get TA to 100 and will retest ph tonight and add the acid to lower ph.

The above is probably the best test result I’ve run since I’ve been doing it my way as opposed to the shop instructions of just throwing a predetermined 1kg buffet and 500ml acid every 10 days which was causing a high ph to be maintained.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 06 Feb, 2020 05:23

I would leave the TA as it is because a lower TA helps keep the pH down
You really need to know what your CYA is because a SWCG needs a higher CYA and you may not have any
Read these
Pool School
Recommended Pool Levels
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Onshow
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Onshow » Fri 07 Feb, 2020 23:56

Ok thanks. Measured cya with a test strip (as accurate as I can get until I get a proper test kit for it. It said 50-100 mg/l. All other levels are ok now ph still a little high so adding some acid to drop it in range.

Haved turned up the Chlorinator a bit given the cya level was thinking of maybe giving pool a shock. Calcium hardness was sitting at 300ppm though so not sure what I should use to shock (have cal hypo and sodium dichlor on hand) given cya level im thinking cal hypo is the way to go?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 08 Feb, 2020 03:14

Looking at pool levels you can afford to raise your calcium up to 350-450 but in the long run why not use plain bleach to boost your chlorine level, all it adds is salt
But it is best to get your own FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results
They don't call strips "Guess strips" for nothing
You can use Cal Hypo and Dichlor to raise your calcium and CYA but remember
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Prolonged use of either will raise your levels causing calcium staining and ineffective chlorine

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”