High saline levels

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Karen in Az

High saline levels

Postby Karen in Az » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 18:13

First off, hello and I am so very glad to have found this forum.
I found this forum because I was searching the net to find out why our saline readings are so very high.
We own a salt water pool and recently discovered that while our chemicals are all in order, our saline is 8820 ppm which is well above the recommended 2700-3550 ppm.

This comes after finding out that our pool person neglected to visit us for a month. We called him on that and we have set things straight and agreed to move on - although if he can't settle this current issue we might replace him.

Today he cleaned the cell (Turbo cell Aqua Connection t-cell 15) and took the water sample to Ace Hardware for analysis. The person at Ace suggested that if the water was older than three years we need to drain the pool. We just had the pool put in two years ago so I don't think that's the problem. He also suggested the cell might need further cleaning, which our pool person said he will do next week when he returns.

So I have a couple of questions/concerns/thoughts.
1: Is the pool safe for swimming?
2: Can such high saline levels ruin the pump?
3: Could the pool be so out of balance because it was neglected for a month? (We are snowbirds wintering in Az and already things are heating up - not sure if that makes a difference).

The pool has only been used once this season and I don't think heavy usage is the problem.

Your thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Karen

havikats
I'm new here
I'm new here

High saline levels

Postby havikats » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 18:19

I'm also curious if the pool person's failure to service the pool could have brought this imbalance about and if it is wise to wait another week to sort out the problem.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

High saline levels

Postby czechmate » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 20:13

Karen,
contrary to your believe you do not have a poolman.
If you had one, he would have been there when he was suppose to and he would be able to do all important tests at the poolside himself.
What you have is a useless water carrier to Ace Hardware.
Pool water needs replacement only when justifiable by too high CYA or CH.
It is not given by how old it is, instead how high are levels of these chemicals that could adversely affect your plaster, piping or equipment.
BTW, if the Ace Hardware has these kind of info for you, I would not bother to go where next time either.
Get a reliable serviceman and have your water tested in a professional store.
It may save you a bundle down the road.
havikats
I'm new here
I'm new here

High saline levels

Postby havikats » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 21:04

Thank you for your response. I needed to hear this a lot.
Now, as to the high saline content what are your thoughts?
BTW much appreciated.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

High saline levels

Postby czechmate » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 09:30

I will leave the saline levels issue to Chemgeek.
He is much better versed in this sort of things.
It may be also hard to respond to testing, that quite frankly may be inaccurate.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

High saline levels

Postby chem geek » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 13:40

If the salt level is truly 8000+ ppm, then that is indeed too high. The water can be too corrosive to metal and hardscapes when the salt level gets high. A partial drain/refill would lower it, but I would make sure the number is correct first. Don't just rely on a TDS test or conductivity meter they may be calibrating incorrectly. Use a chloride (salt) test, either the AquaChek salt test strips or the Taylor K-1766.

The reason I question the high salt level is that it is hard to get it that high, especially in a saltwater chlorine generator pool, because the generator converts chloride to chlorine that then gets used up to revert back to chloride so there is no net change. Unless they added too much salt initially or at some point, the only way the salt would go up is from adding a lot of acid regularly, but even then it wouldn't go up as high as you are seeing.
havikats
I'm new here
I'm new here

High saline levels

Postby havikats » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 14:47

Thanks Chem Geek. I will certainly follow your advice. Personally, I think our "pool guy" freaked when we called him on not coming for a month and then, according to my husband, dumped 11 bags of salt in the system and overcompensated for his initial failures.
We've since fired him and are having someone come over to take a look.
Thanks everyone. Appreciated.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

High saline levels

Postby chem geek » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 20:45

havikats wrote:...and then, according to my husband, dumped 11 bags of salt in the system...

Well, that would explain the too high salt level assuming he added too much. So sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, water dilution is the only way to reduce the salt other than using a Reverse Osmosis (RO) system that is available in some areas (such as Puripool at Pool Services Technologies).
havikats
I'm new here
I'm new here

High saline levels

Postby havikats » Fri 25 Mar, 2011 23:11

Yes, he's fired and it looks as if we have to drain most of the pool and start from scratch. Next time we will be smarter. Thank you everyone.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”