brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Low Suction Through Vacuum Head

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 08 Aug, 2011 23:50

yambosha wrote:I just replace a motor and sand and now no water is circulating I've been fighting and working hard all summer and now the pool is clean but no water is circulating out of the jets or the skimmer the motor is working. What is it a leak from the skimmer to the pump

Is it 220v or 110? If you're using 110v power to the motor, did you check to make sure the wires were installed in the correct position? If they are backwards, the impeller will spin backwards causing you to have no suction and pressure at all.

tdfuller
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: in-ground, vinyl, 28000 gallons, one skimmer, DE filter FNS Plus 48 (Pentair)

Postby tdfuller » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 20:36

So a year later I am still trying to troubleshoot this issue that I first posted to create this thread - Low or no suction, only when trying to vacuum. Anybody know if CycoLac Ball Valves are prone to tiny leaks? My understanding is that a tiny leak won't show any effects during normal pool operation, but can during vacuuming.

My CycloVac ball valves is over 20 years old, but appear in decent if not good shape. The handles always stay in the same position. There is one large ribbed ring that appears to be for turning, but is on so tight, that my 7 feet, 295 pounds can't make it budge. It is also too large to get my adjustable wrench on it. However, just inside this large round ribbed ring, is a smaller, hex shaped connector, you can put an adjustable wrench on it. I have turned it about a half turn. I don't want to keep turning it to the right, b/c I am not exactly sure if that tightens it or might make a possible tiny leak there worse.
tdfuller
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: in-ground, vinyl, 28000 gallons, one skimmer, DE filter FNS Plus 48 (Pentair)

Postby tdfuller » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 19:26

Problem solved!!

After 9 months of frustration, it turns out, it was just a bad connection with the cuff at the end of the hose to the hose itself - the end going in to the skimmer. Ironically, this was the first thing I troubleshot last May. At that time, I brought a brand new pool hose (which includes new cuffs) from Leslie's. This did nothing to solve the low vac pressure problem. So, I returned that hose, and bought a new cuff, as my hose had about a 1/2" tear in the end of the cuff that goes attaches to the Hayward Skim-Vac which in turn goes on the skimmer basket. It turns out, that the new hose also was allowing a tiny amount of air in to the cuff, breaking or reducing the vacuum seal.

With the hose plugged directly in to the skimmer intake without the Hayward Skim-Vac, the cuff remains 100% below the water, eliminating any air leaks. Suction is awesome, and remains for the entirety of my 30-45 minute vacuum sessions.

So, I will either continue to direct connect, or attempt to cleanup, reconnect, and reseal the new hose cuff with alot more silicon!

It is funny, but for at least 5 years, my cuff never let air in at all.

Postby Guest » Sun 12 May, 2013 03:11

I am having the same problem our pool guys said that its just alot of debris backed up. We have palm trees. He said where u in attach the vacuum hose inside to pool take that off and clean in there with a wire brush. We haven't tried it yet but are planning on doing this tomorrow. Hopefully we will see an improvement.
tdfuller
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby tdfuller » Sun 12 May, 2013 11:50

Mine was a laugher. I paid $85 for a pool pro to come out. In the first 5 minutes he found the problem. This was over a year ago. With the suction plate on the end of the hose, it always raises the cuff of the hose just enough so that it is out of the water. But, for the first 10 years, this worked without causing suction to drop.

A slight, "break" - I won't even call it a crack - because it is far smaller than that - developed between the cuff and the hose. Even when I replaced the cuff with a new one, and glued it really well with the adhesive; apparently, it is tough to get a 100% airtight seal with the cuff and hose. AND... I actually bought a brand new hose from Leslie's. Same result! It would cause a lose of suction as well. This is what caused confusion and delays in me finding the source of the problem; believing the issue was not with the hose if the same loss of suction occurred with my old hose and old cuff, old hose with new cuff, and brand new hose!

Apparently, I was fortunate to have a hose with a 100% airtight cuff for many years, that eventually developed a slight air leak. The pool pro who found the problem, and he was the second pro, diagnosed it by removing and no longer using the suction skimmer plate, and instead removing the skimmer basket and hooking the hose directly in to the skimmer intake after filling the hose with water. Voila! The suction was strong and remained strong! The hose cuff was fully below the surface of the water; eliminating an entry way for air.

The downside to this method of not using the skimmer plate and removing the skimmer basket is that there is a small risk that I could suck a golf ball size piece of debris in to the plumbing with no skimmer basket protecting things, but, I don't have gumball trees and don't play golf. Plus, since I am manually vacuuming, I am always watching the bottom of the pool for what is sucked in to the vacuum head.

... Now, I have a Polaris 9300, and use it to vacuum the pool. But, I still retain my manual vacuum in case the pool gets trashed by a bad storm or if I need to clean the pool quickly.
Tony002
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool size: 22,900 gallons
Pebble
DE
Pool & spa

Re: Low Suction Through Vacuum Head

Postby Tony002 » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 16:48

Tdfuller, the same problem is happening to me. I went from cleaning out the filter, adding d.e., checking my pump impeller, clearing the skimmer line, bringing in my 2 month vacuum into Leslie pool store to have it checked and still no suction. I’m just going to buy a new hose and hopefully it will work. I haven’t been able to clean the bottom of my pool for a week and it’s been stressful figuring what’s the cause of no suction. I hope replacing the hose works bc I’m out of ideas.
geoffstephens
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground liner pool 28ft x 14ft wedge shape, sand filter with multi position head, hayward super pump self priming ( cant read the spec plate) one sump and one skimmer suction line.

Postby geoffstephens » Fri 30 Jun, 2023 05:37

just want to heap praise on the forum and its members , I have suffered with little or no suction at the vac head all season, replaced everything...no good.
Joined the forum an hour ago saw the posts...went to the pool chucked out the skimmer basket put the hose into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer pot...voila best suction i've had for years. Many Thanks.
nancyfordham
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool size is 150 at my backyard and I'm using dolphin pool cleaner for cleaning

Postby nancyfordham » Tue 11 Jul, 2023 04:29

Hi Todd,

It seems like you've already done a thorough job of troubleshooting the reduced suction issue in your pool. Based on the information you've provided, here are a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. Check for blockages: Inspect the vac head, skimmer basket, and pump basket for any debris or clogs that could be obstructing the flow of water. Even small obstructions can significantly reduce suction.

2. Inspect the hose: Examine the entire length of the vac hose for any cracks, splits, or other damage that could be causing a loss of suction. Pay close attention to the connections between hose segments and fittings as well.

3. Check the pool pump impeller: While you mentioned checking the impeller for debris, it's also worth verifying that the impeller blades are in good condition and not worn or damaged. Damaged impeller blades can reduce suction.

4. Verify the skimmer weir: Ensure that the skimmer weir (the floating door or flap inside the skimmer) is working properly. A malfunctioning or stuck weir can affect the suction.

5. Check the suction lines: Inspect the suction lines leading from the skimmer and main drain to the pump for any leaks or damage. Even small leaks can introduce air into the system and reduce suction.

6. Consider the pool filter: Although you mentioned backwashing and cleaning the DE filter, it might be worth checking if the filter grids or other filter components need replacement or maintenance. Over time, filter media can deteriorate or become less efficient, impacting suction.

7. Consult a professional: If you've exhausted all troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, it might be helpful to consult a pool professional. They can provide an expert assessment and offer targeted solutions based on the specific setup of your pool.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the reduced suction issue in your pool. Best of luck, and enjoy your swimming season!

Sincerely,
Nancy

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”